News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Trailer Straps

Started by Old Forum, April 10, 2014, 11:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Martin Cartwright

Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 07:34 pm:      
How do most people strap their boat to the trailer?
I have used two (one fore one aft) webbing straps which pass between the timber bulwarks and the deck, but these chafe quite a lot and I am now having to replace them. Is it necessary to tie the boat on in this way if it is secured against fore and aft movement?

Old Forum

David Cawston

Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 08:45 am:      
Yes I have to occasionally replace the webbing strap as well as it chafes a) on one of the port chines (but not the starboard) and also where the strap hooks on to the chassis near the cradle pivot. This I have cured with some proprietory protective sleeving. I just have the one strap and a good rope passing through the bobstay eyebolt to hold the front down. Years ago in a TSA newsletter article, it was state that the number one cause of boats coming loose/falling off trailers was the lack of a good front tie down that stops the front of the boat from bouncing up and down. Be warned, do not pull the main strap too tight as the hull where the cradle rollers press is not very thick and flexes. And with a very bad shock load going over a bump you may damage the hull (although I have never seen this happen). That is why I have a keel support that fits between the keel and the swing cradle/axle.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 05:38 pm:      
Does anyone know if any lateral straps are legally necessary for towing?

I am towing Winkle to Venice in June and this is by far the longest trip I have made. Even on short trips my webbing straps show signs of wear and rub all the varnish off the rubbing strakes.

If you have David's bobstay eyebolt restraint and a secondary tie around a foredeck cleat I wonder what webbing straps are actually doing anyway. They wouldn't hold the boat on the trailer in the event of a crash and with the rollercoaster/Winklebrig design the boat can't come off the trailer in anything less than an impact.

Any thoughts anyone on this or on any long distance towing tips?

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 11:11 pm:      
I would always strap down. I had straps go loose once and the boat nearly bounced off the trailer on a pothole. It was at quite an angle when I realised. The boat can also bounce up in the air and crash down on the rollers. Not good. I fit some of that dense pipe lagging foam over the gunnels under the straps and it stops the rubbing.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 01:43 pm:      
Thanks Julian. Personal experience is always the basis of the best advice.

Old Forum

Roger Parish
Username: Roger_parish

Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 08:22 pm:      
My new boat is tied down at the bow to the winch post and one ratchet strap over at the beam. However it also has a rope which passes around the stern, over the bottom pintle and secured each side to the beam strap points. This definately ensures that the boat cannot move back on the trailer. It was pointed out to me that you should never rely on the winch strap ratchet and it sounds like good advice.

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Friday, March 18, 2011 - 10:48 am:      
I put a bit of old carpet, fluffy side down, between the beam strap and where it passes over the rubbing strakes and underneath the bulwarks. The carpet could be tank taped in place for added security on a very long journey. It is not perfect but it does save some wear.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 09:09 am:      
Many thanks for all these tips. I will use them all!
Any others on any aspect of long distance towing would be gratefullly received.

Old Forum

David_owens
Username: David_owens

Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 09:30 am:      
How did the towing go in the end? Anything to add to the above? And thanks again for posting the wonderful pics.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 02:48 pm:      
No problem at all with the towing. 2,300 miles!

I borrowed my brother's Landrover as I felt my 250,000 mile Merc was beginning to show signs of age.

I used many of the valuable tips from this site ie:-

1. I replaced trailer's bearings and brakes before I left (as much to satisfy myself that I could strip it all down if I had an emergency) and I took plenty of spare parts.I also changed the tyres before leaving.
2. I strapped the boat down across the foredeck and across the cockpit using carpet offcuts to protect the gunwhales.
3. I tied the bow eyebolt down to the trailer and didn't tighten the ratchet too tight. I also wrapped the painter around the ratchet post and back to the foredect cleat.
4. I checked the trailer at every stop. As well as the straps. The jockey wheel can work loose.

Only a few hairy moments:-

1. I inadvertantly knocked the Landrover's second gearstick and locked or unlocked the differential?! Still not quite sure what this is or wht it does, but it took me a hell of a long time to work out how to get the red light on the dashboard off!
2. GPS doesn't work in tunnels! Nearly took a wrong turn somewhere underneath Switzerland and ended up in Germany instead of Italy.
3. French and Italian motorway toll booths are a little different. Reversing out of them with a Winklebrig behind doesn't win you many friends.
4. Tip on craining a Winklebrig:- Lifting in is dead easy, but mark on deck where the straps have to go to avoid the bilgeboards, so that when you come to lift out you know exactly where they are.Otherwise it is guesswork or a swim.(Usually dirty water in these locations and Venice was no exception).

See you all next year in Breast?