News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Trailer recommendations?

Started by Old Forum, April 10, 2014, 10:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Adrian Evans

Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 01:16 pm:      
I am hoping to view a couple of WBs for sale on the bank holiday weekend. However, one of them does not have a trailer. If I decide to go for that one, does anyone have any recommendations for a trailer? I would hold ease of launch and recovery, as very high priorities, and quality/longevity.

many thanks.

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 01:31 pm:      
The Winkle Brig needs special consideration for a trailer because of the protruding bilge boards. Most I am aware of are Roller Coaster style, with a swing cradle to catch the boat. The one I have got was only 6 months old when I bought the boat, and an edge of one roller support scratched the hull until I replaced the rubber rollers with harder and larger diameter nylon rollers. I feel sure that a simpler design is possible.
BTW there are five Winkle Brigs currently advertised on Boats and Ourboards web site

Old Forum

Adrian Evans

Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 05:25 pm:      
Thanks Julian
I need a little help with types and definitions - I have only seen the roller coaster type - essentially a large Y shaped frame with cross members carrying rollers, sitting on one or two axles. What part does the 'swing cradle' refer to?
I was interested in finding out more about breakback trailers - I get the impression they make launch and recovery easier, but
I've been looking at the Indespension website,and can't find any breakbacks. Just to find some pictures, diagrams, or explanation of trailer types and variables would be very helpful.

I also liked the look of the winch off as well as winch on modification that Roger and you have made, though It looks like you have two winches on there? I presume it would be possible to set up the back winching system and use the one winch to go back or forward by swapping the ropes over? Keeping a tether on the boat while winching back, obviously!

Thanks for the note on Boats and Outboards. Two of the WBs are gone (Kate, WB#122, went to the Netherlands), I've seen one and balked at the price, and the other two are on my list for next w/e!

Old Forum

Adrian Evans

Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 04:32 pm:      
OK, so far I've managed to glean the following. Any comments and corrections would be very much appreciated.

swinging cradle and 'roller coaster' trailers are the same thing. They are low, and hence tow well. relatively Simple and cheap.

Combi trailers are a launching trolley on top of a road chassis. Easiest launching and recovery, but put the boat higher off the road, and hence don't tow so well. More money than Roller coasters.

Breakback - a hinged mechanism to help slide the boat into the water once past the balance point. pros and cons versus the other two???

Old Forum

Adrian Evans

Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 04:34 pm:      
Aah. Just found this helpful guide...

http://www.rmtrailers.co.uk/yacht-trailers.htm

Old Forum

Martin Cartwright

Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 05:19 pm:      
Adrian. I sympathise with your difficuly. I went through the whole business a couple of years ago when I wanted to upgrade my roller coaster 3 (because I wanted to trail a greater weight of boat contents). Eventually I settled for a Roller Coaster 7 without the rear swing beam and rollers which I transferred from my old trailer. The reason you can't use the Roller Coaster standard swing beam and rollers is because the protruding bilge boards as Julian has mentioned. There follows a picture of what I guess was the Winklebrig adaptation of the rear swing beam. You may be able to get one made up?

Old Forum

Adrian Evans

Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 04:14 pm:      
Martin, thanks for that, especially the useful picture. If I decide to go for the one without a trailer, from talking with a couple of manufacturers they would want pictures and dimensions of the keels, and put a trailer together to fit.

still can't decide whether r/coaster, breakback or combi would be the way to go. I might well be doing a lot of launching and recovering, but also trailing a fair distance, unless I decide to go for a mooring.
Mind, I don't hear loud complaints about the difficulty of launching off a r/coaster...

Old Forum

David Cawston

Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 05:46 pm:      
I tow hundreds of miles to get to good sailing areas and often join up with Trail Sail Association cruises. So I see a lot of different trailers and I think that the Hallmark Rollercoaster, with my breakback and other minor modifications is the easiest for safe, speedy launch and recovery (see my post under 'launching of the trailer' and try downloading my video clips, quicktime required) and is excellent for towing. I have had 2 high speed (60mph)blowouts on the trailer and apart from a little extra noise and slight vibration I was able to pull over to the hard shoulder with no heart-stopping moments.

Old Forum

Adrian Evans

Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 09:26 am:      
David- thanks.
is it possible to state the advantages of a b/back over a straight r/coaster?
I imagine it can help not immerse the hubs, depending on how steep the slip is, and give you a smoother launch and recovery; anything else?

Old Forum

David Cawston

Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 06:38 pm:      
Adrian, Firstly it makes launching so easy, just lift the pivoting part of the trailer and the boat just rolls back under gravity (but I keep it under control by winding out the winch). No need for reverse winches etc. And on recovery it makes winching far easier as you are pulling in a straight line whereas if the trailer is fixed, you have to first winch the boat up and over the swinging cradle which puts tremendous strain on the winch strap. Of course if you are happy submerging the hubs and virtually floating off/on, you do not need a breakback, but you need a far greater depth of water, your bearings and brakes will suffer and your towcar will have to be further down the slip. Yesterday we pulled out from the Grantham Canal and the car was still on the level at the top of the slip.

Old Forum

Martin Cartwright

Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 10:36 am:      
Adrian. I think David's Roller coaster modifications are great and I would also recommend the Roller Coaster for cost and ease of towing.
With regard to launching, for several years I launched and recovered perfectly happily with the standard version (without winches or breakback modifications). OK, occasionally the hubs got wet and you need to push a bit to get it off on the shallower slipways, but everything (bearings, springs brakes etc)are easy to source and fit.Why not start with the standard Roller Coaster (albeit with the Winklebrig modifications to the swing beam)and see how you go? You can always modify it later.A custom built job will be very expensive and difficult to design from scratch.

Old Forum

Adrian Evans

Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 11:48 am:      
David, Martin: many thanks. I viewed two WBs on Monday, and have agreed a price and put a deposit on the one which comes with the original adapted for WB Hallmark trailer, with a back winching arrangement. I did enquire with indespension about the cost of a new trailer, as the other one I viewed was sitting on a broken caravan chassis, and it would have been in excess of £2000 with VAT and the WB modifications factored in. Another manufacturer was quoting in excess of £1800 plus VAT for a non rollered trailer.
I can see that the BB would help ease of launch and recovery. Perhaps that's a project in due course. (when I've finished the church conversion and refurbishing the Landrover 101!)
I will keep you posted on progress.
Many thanks.