News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Stowing the mast whilst trailing

Started by Old Forum, April 10, 2014, 10:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 09:07 am:      
Just a quick question. When you are trailing, do you leave the mast bolted through the pivot in the tabernacle, or do you unship it and slide it forward to reduce the rear overhang? I always unship it, but wonder whether this is necessary.

Old Forum

Roger Parish

Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 01:32 pm:      
If I am only travelling a short distance, 10mins to the sailing club I fix the mast in the tabernacle and hang a yellow flag on the end. However I think this is illegal because if the overhang from the back edge of the trailer is between 2-3.05 metres an end marker board must be displayed and illuminated at night. I measured the overhang once and believe it falls in this range. Two years ago I was involved in a multiple shunt on the M6 and the lorry behind touched my lighting board on the boat transom. Had the mast been stowed in the tabernacle it would have gone through his windscreen.

Old Forum

Martin Cartwright

Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 04:59 pm:      
Like Roger, I don't bother to unbolt the mast for towing short distances, but I do tie a sock to the masthead. I did actually ask the local police once, but they didn't know! I suspect the cops on the M6 would be a bit more clued up than the bobby at Southwold.