News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Morbihan Semaine du golfe

Started by Old Forum, April 10, 2014, 09:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Tuesday, May 28, 2013 - 05:22 pm:      
Still recovering from a week's exhilerating sailing in Britany. For any lover of old boats, high winds and strong tides this is a must.The following link gives a flavour of it.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x109eqo_parade-semaine-du-golfe-2013-visual-fx_ travel?start=108#.UaTYsZymW18

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Tuesday, May 28, 2013 - 05:45 pm:      
http://www.pbase.com/kathymansfield/image/150321996

Old Forum

Roger Parish
Username: Roger_parish

Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 09:22 pm:      
Hi Martin,fantastic video and many interesting trad boats and rigs, and they are all enjoying themselves in challenging conditions.
Will the picture of your boat be published in Watercraft? I was looking for the new lug rig but it does not show well in that view. Are you pleased with it?
I changed the roller reefing foresail on my new boat to simple roller furling as i think you have fitted to "Winkle" but it was not successful. The sail luff did not have a sewn in wire and so was fixed with the traditional brass hanks but it doesn't furl tidily. I have now changed it to simply hanked on the forestay with a bag to stow it at the stem head. Not the ideal system for a single hander!

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Friday, May 31, 2013 - 12:32 pm:      
I don't think I will feature in Watercraft this time. I was too busy staying afloat to think about being picturesque!
During the actual festivities from Wednesday to Saturday, the wind hardly ever dropped below force 4, and word has it (although I have no wind measuring device) that it gusted 7/8 at times!I think this was an exaggeration, but I would guess it was at least a 6. Consequently, I sailed a great deal with staysail and mizzen (http://www.pbase.com/debetencourt/image/150146612) and stayed safe.
On the few early days before the wind got up I did some experimentation and was very pleased with the Lugsail arrangement. Raising, lowering and reefing are much easier single handed than with the old gaff arrangement, and the centre of effort has moved forward to balance the boat better with the mizzen.
There is much more experimentation I want to do. There is an issue with the forward end of the boom getting caught on the staysail when going about and significant lee helm in light airs, but I think that both these can be rectified by adjustment. Will keep you posted.
I changed my foresails to roller furling when I renewed my sails and had a wire luff sewn in. I think it would be relatively inexpensive to have yours modified. I can recommend it.