News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Alternative trailers

Started by Old Forum, April 10, 2014, 11:10:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:56 am:      
Has anyone experience of using a non-roller type trailer? I was thinking of the Indespension type with carpets covered skids on each side. The boat launchers at my boat yard use them for all of their work and swear by them. They say they are so simple they just never go wrong and handle almost any style of hull. You don't get the tilting cradle benefit of holding your bow in place. Piccy here http://www.indespension.com/b2c/app/I00810?ZTNOID=1280&slnk=1

Old Forum

Martin Cartwright

Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 05:25 pm:      
This is a common type of trailer used by the speedboat fraternity who sink the trailer and drive the boat on and off. I can't see how you could launch a Winklebrig from one without submerging the wheels and if you do that every time in salt water, you will have to renew your brakes about every 5th launch and bearings every season. I guess your yard take the brakes out of theirs (which is what the speedboat boys do), but if you are doing any road towing, I wouldn't recommend this, as they are there for a reason!.

jimhr6

Has  anyone tried this "carpet" style trailer as I seem to remember they are referred to?  I store wb1 about 200 yards from the slipway at Torridon and as it is quite shallow, the trailer needs to go in above the hubs. The idea of a purely launching trailer is tempting. Brake maintenance is a nightmare at the moment.The alternative is to strip out the brakes from the rollercoaster until I need them and use a variation on the breakback: but I will post that query on the appropriate thread.
Regards
Jim Davies
Wrinkle One