News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Something to lean on

Started by Old Forum, April 08, 2014, 06:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Martin Cartwright

Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 04:06 pm:      
As much as I like the Winklebrig, I have always found that there is nothing to lean on (or for that matter to grab hold of)as the timber gunwhales are rather low (and vulnerable). I know this is not for the purist, but I have recently fitted a stainless pushpit which makes all the difference (and also gives added support to my mizzen mast which is a bonus).
The other stainless modification you can see in the photo is the rudder pintle 'handle' through which the tiller passes, preventing it from escaping inadvertantly and making it easier to remove and replace the rudder in a hurry.(It can also be tied on).

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 09:19 pm:      
My boat's previous owner saw a similar lack of back support and built a rather neat mahogany gallery rail around each quarter. It gives back support and just looks good.

Old Forum

Roger Parish

Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 08:24 pm:      
Martin, I like the stainless pushpit rails. Apart from something to lean on on those lazy sunny days I have always felt that the Winkle brig lacks a feeling of security created by having a self draining cockpit and sitting so high above the water. I intend doing something similar but running a rail through to the coach roof albeit at slightly lower level. Did you make this mod yourself?

Old Forum

Martin Cartwright

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 04:04 pm:      
Thanks Roger. No, I am afraid I am not clever enough to make this myself. I told a stainless fabricator at Suffolk Yacht Harbour (Levington) what I wanted and he did it in a day. I ran the rail around at 180mm from the top of the gunwhale and had it welded to the stainless (aft) mast supports. The two 'arm rests' are then welded to brackets which are then bolted through the fibreglass gunwhale support. (I can post more photos if you are interested). I understand the hard part was curving the rail fore and aft and up and down to follow the contours of the boat. Like you, I have thought of extending this 'protection' further forward, but I haven't worked out a way of doing it! The hard part will be following the curve in the boat and what to fix to on the coachroof.