News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Seafairhaven 2010

Started by Old Forum, April 09, 2014, 09:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 02:28 pm:      
It was a great pleasure to meet up with the two Davids and Roger. Thank you all for your company. Shame about the weather! After you left I sat through a morning of 'light' Welsh rain off Lawrenny (in these parts we would call it a monsoon)and finally lost my nerve on hearing the forecast for three days of 'heavy' rain. So I came home.
Very impressed with David Evans, the new recruit. Seems to have have gained an encyclopaedic knowledge of the contents of this forum in a very short space of time! It was great to meet you David and I look forward to the next time - if David Cawston didn't frighten you too much on your beat back to PAC.

Old Forum

David_owens
Username: David_owens

Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 08:04 pm:      
Lol! Actually it is David Owens (the other Welsh surname), but thanks. I was awestruck to be in the company of some of the Winklebrig 'greats' - yourself (Martin Cartwright), Roger Parish and David Cawston. However much I have gleaned from the Forum, and I have studied it at length and with pleasure, I learned even more from you guys in those couple of days there.
I am particularly indebted to David Cawston for whom I crewed. Not only was I not frightened on the beat back, but was impressed by Markie's stability, and David's control in the F5/F6 gusts. Unreefed! Probably the most exhilerating sail of my life.
Not that I had any doubts, but I am now a confirmed Winklebrigger. What a noun ...
Getting this on the Forum, though I do have some pics which I'll post if I can figure out how to do it.

Old Forum

David_owens

Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 04:58 pm:      
Thanks Julian, here we go again :-)

Herewith a pic of Partan making good way up the Haven:

Old Forum

David_owens

Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 05:02 pm:      
Well, I got the attachment through - but I think I had better reduce any more in size before posting!

Many thanks Julian :-)

Old Forum

Roger Parish
Username: Roger_parish

Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 10:06 pm:      
And here is a picture looking the other way. We were making for the Pembroke River and the Castle Mill Pond for an overnight stop. The weather deteriorated for the return trip and the open boats had to wait for the weather to improve before returning to base.

Old Forum

Roger Parish
Username: Roger_parish

Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 07:45 pm:      
And more pictures from Seafair Haven. Two blue Brigs with topsails set. Not often you see that!

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 09:24 am:      
I really should have put Markie's fenders away, really spoil a great picture!

Old Forum

David Cawston

Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 03:33 pm:      
Another thought, there must be someone out there who can do a cover up job/photomagic or something and paint out the fenders, any offers?

Old Forum

David Cawston

Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 03:39 pm:      
Also it all looks so calm and gentle in the photos with Partan & Markie, The beat back down river was one of the most exilarating, strenuous, on the limit (I should have been reefed but wanted to make way to windward, not possible with a reef in)sails I have ever had. For me it was easier with a crew but for Martin & Roger, both single handed, quite an achievement.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Friday, July 16, 2010 - 10:50 am:      
Just to put the record straight - although I would like to take the credit for sailing back single handed, I didn't! I was towing my Avon inflatable, so tacking all the way home would have been impossible. All credit to you others though. I can vouch for the conditions being extremely challenging!

Old Forum

David Peck
Username: David_peck

Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 12:15 pm:      
Post script to Seafairhaven 2010

After 3 weeks, at times very exciting sailing off the Lleyn Penninsular, on aboard 'Cockle' we were en route home with the boat in tow, we decided to stop off for our packed lunch at the Conwy public launch ramp and car park.
As we pulled in, we were treated to the sight of a new Drascombe Drifter called 'Seiriol'.
I spoke to the owner and he told me he was there for the weekend's 'Gaffers, Nobbys and Classic Boats Regatta'.
He recognised 'Cockle' as being a Winklebrig and said that he had been sailing with a number of them at the Seahaven Festival a week or two previously, and was very complimentary about our lovely little boats, saying how he had been very impressed by the Winklebrig's good looks and performance on the water.
I thought this high praise from the owner of the latest creation from Churchouse Boats and was interested to see the forgoing forum articles and pictures of the WB'S at the festival.

See http://www.drascombe.org.uk/images/Drascombe%20Gracefull%20Launch.JPGnd for details of this lovely new boat.
Much as I would like to own one, the £29,000 ex engine, ex trailer, and ex about everything else price tag, coupled with the much bigger boat management problems, make me view our lovely little 'Cockle' with renewed favour.