News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Sliding Hatch

Started by Old Forum, April 08, 2014, 09:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Geoffrey Osborn
Username: Geoffrey_osborn

Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 05:01 pm:      
While towing Calidris back home for spring fitting out the sliding hatch disappeared.
Fortunately the hatch had not caused any harm to anyone as the prevailing wind had taken it well off the road to the nearside verge. I went back to look for it and found it in the long grass it had taken the top washboard staple & hasp and padlock with it. It was damaged but repairable. The upper washboard was smashed to pieces, but I found enough to draw up for a replacement. My questions are:- has anyone else had a hatch that was not secure? What stops a secure hatch from coming off? What is the normal procedure for removing the hatch, and replacing it?

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2012 - 02:51 pm:      
The only way I can get the hatch (old fashioned original wooden type) off Markie is by removing the tufnol runners by removing all the screws. Something would have to break, eg the lips on the hatch, for it to come off accidentally. But as I tow Markie with the all over cover, losing the hatch is most unlikely. Also the cover makes for a very streamlined trailer.

Old Forum

Geoffrey Osborn
Username: Geoffrey_osborn

Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 09:57 am:      
David, many thanks. I can now see the benefits of towing with an all over cover. Did you mean the tailored winter cover? I have been reluctant to tow with the winter cover in case it is weakened by the airflow. In the same way a simple rectangular plastic tarpaulin might also be vulnerable to damage. Any further thoughts?

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2012 - 07:41 pm:      
Here is the cover I use whilst trailing and for protection from the elements over the sailing season. It replaces a big rectangular tarpaulin that I use for laying up over winter (mast and bowsprit removed). Note covers over bowsprit and mast and black plastic bag over winch to save strap from UV degradation.