News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Vibrating Bilge Board

Started by Old Forum, April 08, 2014, 09:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

David_owens
Username: David_owens

Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2012 - 09:14 am:      
My Winklebrig is the newer type with bilge boards fixed by bolts tightened easily with an allen key. I take the bilge boards out every year and clean and anitfoul them. Last year one of the bilge boards had an audible vibration, but only at a certain speed. This year the vibration is much worse and at most speeds, though still confined to one bilge board only. Does anyone else have this problem - and how do I fix it? As the boat is in the water, I can't see them directly, but I know I tightened up the allen bolts tightly before launching

Old Forum

David_owens

Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 09:42 pm:      
Problem seems to have resolved itself. The only thing I can think is that, as I take the boat out of the water for several months, the bilge boards dry out and shrink a little. Putting it back in the water for the Spring means the boards swell again.
Whatever. problem solved.

Old Forum

David_owens

Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2012 - 09:27 am:      
I can take out my bilge boards by loosening allen key bolts and I do this each year to clean and anti foul them. This year, a slight and audible vibration in one of the bilge boards has become much more marked. The boat is in the water, so I can't see what is going on, but I know I tightened the allen keys fully when replacing.
Does anyone else have this difficulty, and how have they overcome it?
Apologies if this is the second such message - thought I had posted a previous one, but it hasn't appeared in the forum yet.

Old Forum

Steve Chalkley
Username: Steve_chalkley

Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 08:08 pm:      
Hi David,
Off subject, But I gather you have your Winkle Brig in Cardiff? I am considering buying one and would like to see one close up before travelling to Surrey/Sheffield. I am in Neath and can come over any time to suit.Thanks. Steve Email steve@scforest.plus.com

Old Forum

David_owens

Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 09:43 pm:      
My pleasure.
Have contacted you separately so we can organise a viewing/sail.
See you soon.