News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Polishing the hull

Started by Old Forum, April 08, 2014, 09:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Vipula De Silva
Username: Vipula_de_silva

Posted on Monday, August 15, 2011 - 11:37 pm:      
Hello all

Just about to pick up our boat from the brokerage. The hull is a little faded and I was planning to try polishing the green GRP.

I guess this is the sort of thing that I'd use T-cut for if it was a car. Can anyone recommend a suitable equivalent for boats?

Many thanks

Vip

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 02:03 pm:      
Once a year I use the '3M Marine' products with an electric polisher. I never had much luck doing it by hand.
It is probsably worth doing, but the results are far from permanent if the boat is exposed to sunlight all season. I usually put a wax coat on afterwards if I have the time/patience.

Old Forum

George Billington
Username: George_billington

Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 09:06 pm:      
Douglas Patterson was looking for advice earlier this year about a refurbishment. If you need to redo the paint, assuming the polishing does not work, I listed my experiences in the previous Topic - Major Refurb - there may be some useful ideas there - or maybe not!

Old Forum

Phil Shimmin
Username: Philshimmin

Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 09:17 pm:      
I used Tcut, but not too harshly, on Wigeon. finishing with a couple of applications of car wax polish. I touched up the scratches after the cutting, before polishing. Looks ok to me!

Old Forum

Vipula De Silva

Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 07:38 am:      
Thanks for the information gents. One electric polisher added to shopping list.

Vip

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 06:04 pm:      
Don't waste your money on an orbital polisher (the type with handles on either side of the polisher). Get a rotary polisher like this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-264569-Sander-Polisher/dp/B002QS1LZ2/ref=sr_1 _2?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1313945952&sr=1-2 with some additional polishing foams and lots of T cut. And be prepared to get very mucky, the stuff goes everywhere.

Old Forum

Vipula De Silva

Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 09:59 pm:      
Thanks David - that certainly looks like it's up to the job.

Vip

Old Forum

George Billington
Username: George_billington

Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 11:31 am:      
Hi Vip, David is right about that polisher - I used a similar type on a previous boat. However, I was advised to use a rubbing paste called Farecla G3. Apparently it is not as abrasive as T cut, and so there's less chance of stripping off the paint. You can buy it from any Motor Factors.

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 03:43 pm:      
Hi Vip, Assuming your hull is still the original green gel coat, you would never get through the gel coat using T cut. I have even used much coarser rubbing compound before using T cut and it has not in effect made any difference to the thickness of the gel coat. Also the electric polisher, with rubbing compound, can be used on the bronze fittings to quickly and easily bring them up to a lovely shiny finish which you can then protect with something like Rylard's Incralac (even protects when in salt water). Just be careful to avoid 'polishing ' the woodwork as the electric polisher with T cut etc will strip/damage paint/stain on woodwork.