News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Boot topping

Started by Old Forum, April 08, 2014, 07:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Martin Cartwright

Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 12:29 pm:      
I currently have a very wavey line where the previous owner applied antifouling. Does anyone have any ideas where the boot topping should be, or looks best? I know conventional wisdom is that you leave the boat in the water and where the scum line forms is where the boot topping should be. Do you think this works with the chines of the Winklebrig?

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 02:07 pm:      
Not sure I can really answer this. My boat was antifouled when I bought it and it seems to meet the waterline fairly accurately. When I repainted I adopted a common idea of applying a white anitfouling boot top paint just above the waterline forward and aft. You can more or less see the effect on my boat on the website (WB6). It seems that the lower edge of the second "plank" down just touches the waterline amidships. I fretted awhile because the boot topping on either side is not quite symmetrical, but then realised that it was not posisble to see both side simultaneously, and stopped fretting
http://www.jegsweb.co.uk/boats/winklebrig/wb/wb06/wb6-14.jpg

Old Forum

Martin Cartwright

Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 05:46 pm:      
Thanks Julian. I think both Pelican and Pegoty look great with the white stripe. I hope you and Adrian will not mind if I copy!

Old Forum

Julian Swindell

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 01:45 pm:      
Copy away Martin, I nicked the idea off someone else in the first place!

Old Forum

Andy Dalby
Username: Andy_dalby

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 03:50 pm:      
A word of caution on the position of the waterline. Mudlark (WB32) has the same white boot top above black antifoul. Last season we left the boat on a mooring at Brundall. As you can see in Julian's photo, the centre part of it is under water. I didn't think this would be a problem, just more cleaning on that bit at the end of the season. However when we came to cleaning the hull I found blistering along that section of the chine, only on the side that was next to the pontoon. As we're dry sailing this season, I'm told it's not a problem immediately but we are going to have get it sorted by an expert at the end of the season. I was a bit alarmed that it happened so quickly. When we bought the boat it needed the same treatment on the whole underwater section, we had the hull slurry-blasted, epoxied and antifouled.

Old Forum

Julian Swindell

Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 03:30 pm:      
Is this the dreaded osmosis, or was the blistering just in the anti-fouling?

Old Forum

Andy Dalby
Username: Andy_dalby

Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 07:13 pm:      
It's in the gelcoat, it's the first stage of osmosis.

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 03:54 pm:      
Sometimes the gelcoat can take on an 'orange peal' appearance/feel. This can be due to incorrect mixing/quantities of gelcoat & hardener during layup and develops over time. I had it on one of my kit cars. As far as I know it is nothing to worry about.

Old Forum

Adrian Evans
Username: Adrian_evans

Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 06:57 pm:      
there is an article about a preventative treatment for osmosis in May's PBO.
David - I'm intrigued by your kit car reference - I nearly completed a UVA fugitive many years ago, and have been rather fancying a Dax rush. What have you built? (Feel free to move to micellaneous!)

Old Forum

Ben Fraser
Username: Ben_fraser

Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 04:14 pm:      
I've bought Mudlark (WB 32) following a survey which concluded that the blistering was not osmotic in nature but that it was as David has described and is very discrete. This was validated by hull soundings and moisture readings which were taken above the waterline and below and compared. The surveyor also stated that this does not present a structural problem. I look forward to showing her off on the water. I'm plannning on joining the trail-sail association and hope to meet some fellow winkle brig sailors on a tsa cruise!

Old Forum

David_bone
Username: David_bone

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 - 10:57 pm:      
I also now have light blistering/orange peel effect just above the waterline amidships on both sides. On sanding, the blisters seem to be contained within the gel coat and I see no indication of perforation to the layup. After listening to dire consequences from an associate but reading more optimistic opinions from other sources, I am hoping that David Cawston & Ben Fraser's diagnosi are correct. Therefore, I intend to sand off the blisters and a belt 2" above/below the waterline, treat with several coats of International Gelshield 200 Epoxy, followed by antifouling, with a 2" hard white boot top, extending well above the true waterline.
My antifoul/boot topping was too low, only extending to the top of the chine, which was probably a main cause, as the boat is on a mooring for 7 months of the year.