News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Rubbing strakes

Started by Old Forum, April 08, 2014, 07:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Keith Dennis

Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 05:48 pm:      
I have removed the rubbing strakes on Winkle Brig 50 and find that they are rotting and need replacing. The original material was mahogany and I'd like to get two long strips (16' 7") so that I don't have to join shorter lengths. Any ideas where I can source suitable material at a reasonable price? Has anyone else renewed their rubbing strakes? Any advice welcome.

Old Forum

Roger Parish

Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 08:26 pm:      
The rubbing strakes are a 25mm x 30mm section and will require machining on two faces. I would not like to have to handle one length and pass it through the router three times to get the profile;far better to splice after machining. I have not replaced a WB strake but have replaced GP's in sections. You will need to fill the original fixing holes and then offset the new fixings. You may like to consider using a larger profile for the strake to give more protection or improve appearance. ( I think this was a suggestion of Martins). Much larger then it may require laminating.

Old Forum

Adrian Evans

Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 09:19 pm:      
Hi Keith
can't remember where you are, but Boddy's are a large and long established merchant with a huge range of exotics.
John Boddy Timber Ltd
Valuation La, Boroughbridge, York, YO51 9LJ
01423 322370

British Hardwoods of Keithley I have found excellent, and cheaper than Boddys, I think. both will profile sections for you, if you want.
I have sourced a piece of Keruin to replace half a bulwark, which is extremely close to mahogany visually, but more flexible, easier to bend and twist to the boat profile. I would ask the merchant. Or take an original sample to match.

Old Forum

martin cartwright

Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 07:16 pm:      
Hi Keith. As we speak I am in the process of replacing mine in teak to match the bulwarks. I have ordered from Robbins Timber and as Roger mentions have used 25 x50 sections for appearance. They could not do the length, so I have one scarf joint on each side. Although I have removed the old ones and done the preparation work, I have not actually fitted the new ones yet and am anticipating a struggle getting it to bend! A job for the Christmas holiday I think. (I have it in mind to shave off a few mm off the depth if it is too unyielding).

Old Forum

martin cartwright

Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 11:07 am:      
Does anyone have any ideas as to how to bend the rubbing strakes other than to make them thinner? If possible, I would rather keep the depth as 25mm. I have been told that steaming and wetting the wood helps. Does anyone out there have any views how this could be done?

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:51 pm:      
I've never done it, but steaming is often described. I am not sure how well it works with teak. Steaming may soften it, but I don't know what happens to the natural oils in the wood if you do that. I expect the ideal is to laminate the thick strips from thin ones, but that would be more than a job and a half.

Old Forum

Roger Parish

Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 08:21 pm:      
I constructed a yuloh(curved oar for sculling) last year which was 3 metres long and and to store it within the boat I laminated the shaft to match the curvature of the boat. I covered the bulwarks in plastic and then glued the four strips of timber and clamped them to the bulwarks. When dry and released there was a little spring back but nothing to worry about. Two half inch strips of hardwood should bend easily and if using two or three lengths per side then the joints could be staggered and lapped to avoid scarfing.

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 10:03 pm:      
Roger, does your yuloh work? I am stuck with one 8 ft oar as a sweep and it just isn't long enough. Can you move the boat with the yuloh?

Old Forum

Geoffrey Osborn

Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 09:07 pm:      
Calidris has oak rubbing strakes. If I was replacing them with a free choice I would prefer teak (wouldn't we all!!). What about iroko; that is usually happy with some oil now and again. What do others think?

Old Forum

Martin Cartwright

Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 06:20 pm:      
I think Iroko would be fine.
For anyone who is interested, I have just finished fitting the 25x50 teak strakes.After asking around I gave up the idea of steaming as I understand that the steam has to be applied uniformly for about an hour for this thickness and I couldn't think of a way of doing this.In the end I used brute force, slightly larger screws and Sikaflex, and although it was a hell of a struggle, it seems to have worked. They were still holding on last time I looked.
I am pleased with the finished appearance although the workmanship is a bit rough and ready - like the rest of the boat- and will post a photo when weather permits.
Happy New Year everyone. Looking forward to the Easter cruise.

Old Forum

Adrian evans

Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 08:32 pm:      
for reference- and I would add that I haven't done it myself, but you can supposedly make a low tech steamer for long pieces of timber from a length of plastic drain pipe, with ply stoppers both ends. camping stove with a large pan of water and ply lid. holes in the lid and stoppers, to take hose pipe to feed the steam through.
I'll try it one day- so many projects, so little time...

Old Forum

Martin Cartwright

Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 08:59 pm:      
Sounds fun!I can see how this might work for a square or round wood section, but the WB's rubbing strakes are a sort of 'hockey stick' section and I am not sure how you would stop the wood twisting uncontrollably inside the tube.

Old Forum

Martin Cartwright

Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 01:26 pm:      
25mmx50mm rubbing strakes fitted.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Friday, May 17, 2013 - 09:17 am:      
Having spent a very windy week bumping up against things in Morbihan when moored, I am wondering about fitting additional rubbing strakes like those shown on WB39. If Simon Hill, the owner of 'Ruwach' is still reading this, I would be very interested in his or anyone else's views.