News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Instruments & Electrics

Started by Old Forum, March 02, 2014, 07:28:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 11:04 pm:      
How electronic are others? I seem to have a surprising number of instruments now, a GPS, depth sounder, handheld VHF and two compasses (the second came with the boat). I have mounted them all on the lower washboard, so they are easy to see, and can be stowed away just by turning the board around.

For electricity, I use one of my best finds, a Celestron Powertank. A twelve volt rechargeable gel battery in a powerful torch/floodlight body, with two cigarette lighter outputs plus several other outputs for phones and things. It is designed for amateur astronomers, but it is perfect for boats.

Old Forum

Adrian Evans

Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 11:15 am:      
Julian, I have been quietly admiring the Celestron powertank, and I see that they are now producing a 17 amperehour version! I just wanted to ask you if the big spot light is removeable (on a curly cable?) to be hand held, or is it permenantly fixed to the body?

Thanks.

Old Forum

Julian Swindell

Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 09:34 am:      
Adrian
The big light tilts forward up to 90degrees, but doesn't come off. I rarely use it, but it is nice to have available. I use the small flash light (with the removable red filter in the picture), as a reading light at night. During the rest of the time I plug my GPS into it all the time and I can also plug in my vhf if its battery has gone flat. This year a full charge seems to last for about 5 weekends sailings, with an overnight each time. Then I take it home to recharge. I'm really pleased with it. I looked at the bigger version, but it is just too big to fit in anywhere easily and I really don't need the extra capacity.

Old Forum

Adrian Evans

Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 10:56 pm:      
Thanks Julian. It does look like a very tidy and convenient solution. I take your point about the physical size of the larger capacity;
But the websites selling them all seem to be out of stock of the smaller version at the moment.

Old Forum

David Peck
Username: David_peck

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 10:30 am:      
Julian
I've been reading your note on the Celestron Power tank.Is it basically a battery with various output or has it got a built in charger for plugging in to the mains, or do you charge it from a seprate battery trickle charger. I'm thinking of whether it can be plugged in to the electric hook up in a marina.
Can it be charged from a car cig lighter?

Old Forum

Julian Swindell

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 10:07 pm:      
The Powertank has a separate charger, like a mobile phone charger which recharges it in a few hours. It also has a car lighter adapter to charge it, but I don't know how long that takes to recharge. I find it really useful. I run the GPS from it, use the small torch to read by and the large one to illuminate half the planet if that seems necessary. It last for months for the first two uses, but goes flat after about half an hour of the big torch being used.

Old Forum

Andy Dalby
Username: Andy_dalby

Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 06:07 am:      
I'm fitting a fishfinder as we're back at sea. Where has anyone got their transducer fitted? I'm going to try the transom temporarily but I feel the prop wash will mess it up. I was thinking of the back of the keel or maybe just epoxying it next to the keel and bringing the cable up the outboard well. I don't want to be drilling any holes through the bottom of the hull. Any help is most appreciated.

Old Forum

Julian Swindell

Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 09:41 am:      

I've got a very simple battery powered depth sounder. My transducer works through the solid hull. You don't need to drill any holes. I think most, or at least many, can work that way. It is in a tube epoxied to the inside of the hull, and the tube is filled with castor oil to give a continuous route from the transducer to the water below. It is fitted in the bottom of one of the rear lockers, which is not ideal. It works fine under sail but can get very confused under power. Presumably the prop wash affects it. I know someone else who cut a small opening under one of the quarter berths and fitted his transducer just next to one of the bilge plates, and said that worked very well. I do find the sounder very useful in shallow Poole harbour and it seems very accurate when I check it with a sounding pole. What I have also noted many times is that my WB draws more water than the specification says. In theory the draft is 1'2", boards up. I am on the bottom in 2ft of water in practice. Am I overloaded? Has anyone else checked this? I do find it quite a deep draft boat after my old Drascombe Dabber, which sailed in 8" and I once got out and pushed through 4"!