News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Strengthening for Coastal use?

Started by Old Forum, April 08, 2014, 07:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Martin Cartwright

Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 12:16 pm:      
3. Mast strut:- I used a 100mm square section post to go through the fore peek ply (and foam underneath)to take the load through to the hull. This ends flush with the ply and I used a steel tube (with a flange top and bottom)as the strut. I wrapped this with rope to make it softer and look better.

Old Forum

Martin Cartwright

Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 01:12 pm:      
Staysail:- As I mentioned previously I have this as a 'belt and braces' measure. If I ever lost the forestay it would hold the mast up. It doesn't add to speed, but I think it adds to power when sailing into a sea.

Old Forum

Martin Cartwright

Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 01:28 pm:      
Finally! I really can recommend the pushpit and chart table modifications. The former adds considerable strength (particularly with the mizzen)and is great to lean on long passages (and hang onto if you are either inside or outside the boat )and the latter is a bit of fun, but provides a useful space to keep paperwork dry as long as you dont need to go below in a hurry.

Old Forum

Jeff Wattley

Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 10:04 pm:      
Hello Martin

Thank you so much for the immensely helpful information you posted about strengthening your Winkle for sea sailing. For various reasons I have not been able to think about my boat for 3 months but I am now getting back into the game. In fact I have just repaired a cracked tabernacle. The pictures were excellent and the information about how you sourced the parts was very valuable. I shall be thinking about this carefully.

Thanks Jeff