News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Boom Gallows

Started by Rick, March 02, 2014, 07:12:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

Are these part of the hull or the rig? Whatever. My WB doesn't have the sliding, permanantly present gallows that later ones have. I have used scissor legs but hate them because they are either hidden, fall out or just get in the way. I've tried various things, but the gallows on Jowettwo (WB75) inspired me to another go. I have just fitted a fixed gallows in the stern, which will require moving the mainsheet fixing inboard a bit. All seems to work on dry land, but the test will be at sea next month.

Old Forum

Well here is something new to chew over and hopefully someone will come up with a good idea. It is always ideal to be able to manage most operations without leaving the cockpit on a small boat and important if you are single handed. What I would like to do is drop the anchor without venturing on the foredeck. I cant see how to stow the anchor(I have a Danforth but could be changed) on a bow roller and release from cockpit when required. Any suggestions?

Roger Parish 23/3/2007

Old Forum

Gallows gone
Twice the main sheet wrapped round these permanent gallows when there was a strong wind, and scared the life out of me. They are now gone and I'm installing upgraded, removable scissors gallows

Julian Swindell 15/3/07

Old Forum

I have permanent stainless steel gallows fixed through the deck to the hull and my main sheet snatchblock is positioned forward of the engine on the forward face of the starboard locker (There was a cleat here originally). The boom mainsheet block is correspondingly further forward along the boom and so the sheet never fouls the gallows.
I know theoretically this places a greater strain on the end of the boom, but despite having been in fairly strong winds (force 6 last weekend), I have never had any problems and the Winklebrig is not such a racing machine that the off-centre sheeting position makes any difference on the port tack.

Martin Cartwright 15/5/2007

Old Forum

The alternative is to position the boom gallows forward of the engine and keep the same main sheet arrangement. In this position it will also support the gaff arm, provides a back support when sailing and a useful handhold getting off and on the boat:

Old Forum

Posted on Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 12:34 pm:      
I would like to sail with the boom support permanently in the 'up' position. The main reason being that it is messy trying to raise and fix it when you want to lower the main/gaff and boom onto it.
The main problem with this on Cockle, is that mainsheet is mounted on the transom on a rope horse (see Roger's article dated 6 Aug 2007). This system works well with the Boom support lowered, but the mainsheet on the rope horse jams up round it in the 'up ' position.
A solution to this, maybe, is to bring the mainsheet forward and attach two pulleys to the two cleats on the front of the aft stowage lockers as shown in Martin's article 'Strengthening for coastal use' Sept 2007 (very useful pictures Martin, thanks)
1. Can anybody see any problems with this?
2. Did you strengthen these cleats in any way , Martin?

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 01:38 pm:      
I am glad you had a good summer's sailing David. You deserved it after your previous year's misfortunes!

I have found that no strengthening was required to the cleats. Since the photos were taken I have modified this slightly using a rope 'horse' from one cleat up over the tiller to a ring (to which the main sheet pulley is attached)and back to the other cleat. In this way the main sheet can be centralized.
To avoid any risk of the main sheet snagging the boom support, I moved the main sheet connection point away from the end of the boom using a rather clumsy (but it works) Indespension 'u' bracket around the boom. (I can post a picture if it helps).

Old Forum

David Peck
Username: David_peck

Posted on Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 07:53 pm:      
Thanks for the prompt reply Martin.
The information will be very useful; I wondered whether a rope horse over the tiller would be practical. I thought it might foul the tiller when sheeted right out.
Which ever way I do it, bringing the mainsheet forward will remove the only thing I found on the WB messy (i.e. raising the boom support under sail).
I would appreciate a look at your boom fixing, Cockle came with the block fastened to the boom with screw in 'eye' which seems a bit dodgy. I need to strengthen this.
I like the idea of the ketch rig having sailed a Drascombe Lugger for many years, did you shorten your boom to accommodate yours? Cockle has a high peaked gaff mainsail and probably therefore has a longer foot than the normal top sail rig mains' (see Roger's post under Gunter Rig 30th April 2008), and the boom cannot be shortened. It certainly would foul a mizzen mast mounted on the transom.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 04:19 pm:      
There follows a picture of the rope horse and boom fixing.I have found this arrangement works very well.(You might like the wicker bottle holder I fitted for my French trip!).
I put a little grub screw in the fixing plate of the top of the boom to stop it sliding backwards and forwards.
Yes. I did have to shorten my boom by a little.I can't remember exactly how much, but it wasn't more than an inch or two and the mainsail setting was unaffected.

Old Forum

David Peck

Posted on Saturday, October 31, 2009 - 06:58 pm:      
Martin
Thanks for the picture.
What I have actually done is to leave the rope horse fastened to the far corners of the transom and bring it forward of the gallows to about as far forward on the boom as yours is shown, and have moved my boom fixing aft to the corresponding position. The boom actually swings out with the mainsheet free from fouling anything. The gallows can therefore be left up when sailing.- It works on land with no wind anyway!

Old Forum

David Peck

Posted on Saturday, October 31, 2009 - 07:14 pm:      
I tried to post a picture, but even though it was a JPEG format and reduced in size it informed me that it was the wrong format to upload. I followed the insructions to the letter so I don't know what to do differernt

Rick

test to see if I  can add an attachment using Linux Mint + Firefox