News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Shrouds

Started by Old Forum, April 07, 2014, 02:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Keith Dennis
Username: Keith_dennis

Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 01:02 pm:      
I believe that the shrouds on Winkle Brig 50 are the original. A friend, who is an engineer, is afraid that although they look OK, they will have been stretched over the years to the point where they have reached the limits of there elasticity. His fear is that they will fail under strain (he had this happen to him when he was sailing a hire boat on the Norfok Broads). Anyone any thoughts on this? How often do Winkle Brig owners renew their shrouds?

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 02:26 pm:      
I'm pretty sure my shrouds are galvanised rather than stainless steel. They look slightly rusty but when I give them a waggle, I convince myself that they are sound. How can you tell? I am more concerned about the forestay as it is largely hidden inside the furling tube. I can't get it out without cutting off one end. How often should they be changed? Do they fail strand by strand, to give a bit of warning, or do they just go "ping" and fall down?

Old Forum

Roger Parish
Username: Roger_parish

Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 04:10 pm:      
When I was concerned about the play on my trailer hitch I was given some very sound advice. "If you are concerned then it is time to replace". With shrouds I dont think you get any warning as they can have failed inside. If there is any sign of rust then replace now. Mine look OK but have now been on the boat for18 years. I think insurance companies would expect them to be replaced at 10 year intervals. It is my intention to replace mine this year and you can get a price and order online from Jimmy Green Marine, but he only seems to do stainless although I did order a galavnised bobstay from him when I first acquired the boat. We will all be waiting now for Keith to make the first move!

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 08:25 am:      
Markie is now 21 years old and still using the original galvanised shrouds, although I have a stainless steel bobstay. I have always thought that galvanised is best as it will show up any weaknesses with rust appearing. No rust and things are OK. Also relatively so little strain is put through WB shrouds (compared with 'modern' bermuda rigs with spreaders and bottlescrews etc). Trying to get galvanised now is hard and my local chandler did manage it for the bobstay but it was rusting again inside a month (poor quality) so I reluctantly went for stainless which I will replace every 10 years or so as stainless can give way witn no warning whatsoever.