News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Tricing the mainsail

Started by Old Forum, April 07, 2014, 02:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 08:27 am:      
Has anyone tried tricing the mainsail?
Looking at the Thames sailing barges on the Orwell moored up with their gaff's and mainsails still up, it seemed to me that a useful way of 'scandalising' the mainsail would be to fit a tricing line from a cringle in the tack to a block under the gaff.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 08:31 am:      
It doesn't work.
First sail of the season yesterday and I tried this. The line from the block gets fouled up with the gaff and the reefing lines prevent the sail from folding up completely against the mast.A complete disaster. Much easier to simply lower the gaff!

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 09:49 am:      
Isn't it amazing how many things we dream up while lying in the bath seem so obvious, and then prove a disaster when we actually try it. I built a Chinese yuloh (single sculling oar) for my boat which worked perfectly on land... Within 10 seconds of trying it on the boat I found it was far too small, couldn't swing enough, wouldn't stay on the pin and generally failed in every respect. I'm back to a long paddle which I reckon gives me about 0.2kts.
I had often thought of mainsail tricing. Thanks for trying it out!grin

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 09:49 am:      
Isn't it amazing how many things we dream up while lying in the bath seem so obvious, and then prove a disaster when we actually try it. I built a Chinese yuloh (single sculling oar) for my boat which worked perfectly on land... Within 10 seconds of trying it on the boat I found it was far too small, couldn't swing enough, wouldn't stay on the pin and generally failed in every respect. I'm back to a long paddle which I reckon gives me about 0.2kts.
I had often thought of mainsail tricing. Thanks for trying it out!