News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Wires for nav light up the mast

Started by Old Forum, April 07, 2014, 11:55:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

David Peck
Username: David_peck

Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 07:16 pm:      
Anyone got any ideas for a good way of taking a wire up the mast for a nav light without it fouling the mains'l lacing?

Old Forum

Adrian Evans
Username: Adrian_evans

Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 08:33 pm:      
how about an LED unit with a self contained battery/miniPV panel and a wireless remote control?
I'm not aware that such a unit exists, but it wouldn't be particularly dear to manufacture.

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 08:54 pm:      
My boat had a mast head light when I bought it. The wire ran up a groove chased in the front of the mast and then filled with sealant. Where it came out at the top for the light formed an opening which let the rain in and the top of the mast rotted and broke a couple of years ago. I replaced the top section and fixed a wooden button over the very top to keep it dry. I never used the light anyway, I have temporary navigation lights for emergencies and a hurricane lamp for when I'm anchored.

Old Forum

Roger Parish
Username: Roger_parish

Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 09:02 am:      
I have a hollow mast and you would think that would be great for routing cables. However there are spacer blocks at intervals placed to aid construction. However your posting , Julian reminds me that I have an original WB mast and gaff arm FOR SALE if any owner is in need. Price negotiable but would have to collect!

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 12:44 pm:      
Personally, I think mastead nav lights for a Winklebrig are a waste of time. To be seen at night in rivers/estuary's, deck level lights are much better as they are less likely to be confused with the 'clutter' from the shore. Of course, if you are going off-shore at night that is a different matter, but I suspect that under these circumstances, being seen will be the least of your worries!