Author Topic: How many rigs are there?  (Read 2764 times)

Old Forum

• Copied over from the previous forum
    • View Profile
Re: How many rigs are there?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 09:46:30 AM »

David_owens
Username: David_owens

Posted on Friday, May 21, 2010 - 10:37 pm:      
Martin - have just read your post on 'Strengthening for Coastal Sailing' and found many pics of the modifications you have undertaken. Blimey! I don't think I am ready for this yet! Impressive - and somewhat humbling.

But it does confirm Roger Parish's point that new owners like me would do well to read right through the forums - there is a huge wealth of information here.

Old Forum

• Copied over from the previous forum
    • View Profile
Re: How many rigs are there?
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 09:47:06 AM »

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Monday, May 24, 2010 - 07:57 pm:      
Don't be put off! The standard Winklebrig is a lovely boat. I tinker with mine as much for the enjoyment of the experimentation as for the sailing.I am really not sure if what I modify adds much to the original - but it keeps me happy for hours, especially during the winter months.
I do have failures. I just don't post the details on the web and I try and cover the holes with the next modification! (Incidentally, I have reverted back to lanyards rather than bottle screws on the stays as I found that tensioning is much easier with the original design).
With regard to the mizzen,don't embark upon this lightly, as although I think I now have a nicely balanced boat I have had to extend the bowsprit and increase the sail area forward of the mast (and carry out various other modifications) to achieve it. A marine architect would probably have kittens, so if you proceed with this be careful.
Happy sailing.