Author Topic: Wanted : Shroud chainplates  (Read 164 times)

christanner

• View Profile
Wanted : Shroud chainplates
« on: October 20, 2018, 10:08:59 AM »
Hello all. Does anyone know where I can find a pair of the bronze shroud 'chainplates' that attach to the coachroof? I'm fitting an extra set of shrouds. I see a few others have done the same (Mudlark, Winkle) Chris

David Bone

• Retired Seafarer
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted : Shroud chainplates
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 01:08:57 PM »
Hello Chris,

I got mine made up by Classic Marine, of bronze plate, to the same pattern as originals.
(WB 107)

David

Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 04:14:02 PM »
The ones I fitted for 'Winkle' were stainless steel from a local fabricator. Quick and easy and not expensive.

christanner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 08:18:44 AM »
Thanks both.

They don't seem to be off-the-shelf, so I'll go with a stainless plate fixed towards the forward end of the coachroof where there's a gap between the gunwale and the cabin moulding. Pretty much inline with the mast.

I'll be sailing WB100 a fair bit off the coast here next year so want to provide some redundancy in the rig. Planning to add an inner forestay too; down to the stem.

Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 05:31:07 AM »
Personally, I would place the second plates sightly aft of the mast rather than exactly in line with it. In this way you get the added advantage of fore and aft mast support if you were to lose the other shroud on that side. Particularly important in heavy weather when you are running with foresail(s) only.   

David Bone

• Retired Seafarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 06:33:57 AM »
I agree and mounted second shrouds, attached to a lower mast band, in parallel with the originals for this reason.
Also, in addition to an inner forestay, consider an internal mast support, essential if you intend to push the boat. (Martin's 'Strengthening for coastal use.)