News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Hello!

Started by RogerH, December 06, 2016, 10:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogerH

Hello all!

Suzy and I have just bought JenyaTan WB37 from Colin and Jayne Firth.

We've moved her to Bewl Water in Kent for the winter and how to get a little sailing in those shelters waters to learn her ways before venturing further afield.

One thing I've discovered I'm the last few days, our insurers insist on a wheel clamp on the trailer, but the prominent hub covers with their grease nipples prevent a standard clamp from being used.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Roger.

RogerH

Hmmm - 13 views, so that's good! There are people out there, lol :-)

Having done a bit of research, the extra piece on the hub is called a bearing saver or hub saver ("Bearing Buddy" is a proprietary brand in the USA), which just taps into the actual hub housing itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQsEjHJ49OQ

At least, I'm assuming mine are the same - will look next time I'm at the boat.

So each time I wanted to put on the wheel clamp, I could just knock the saver out and replace the hub cap. I'm guessing this could make the saver a bit loose after time though, so any other experiences would be welcome.

Anyway - hello to the 13 people who've viewed so far. Drop me a line and introduce yourselves.

Cheers,

Roger.

David Bone

Hello Roger,

Welcome to 'Winklebrigs.'

Colin and Jayne Firth first introduced me to a 'Winklebrig' when they gave me a detailed tour of 'Jenya Tan' in 2009.  Later that year I purchased 'Hope' (#107), which continues to provide me with a lot of enjoyment in use and quite an interest in experimentation.
Colin was meticulous in his care of the boat and I am sure it is well equipped, in good condition.
He used it extensively over a wide area, living onboard, including transiting the Caledonian Canal, Norfolk Broads, the Thames, Falmouth and the Lake District, where we have often sailed together with the DCA.

Through the forum and Martin Cartwright's excellent handbook, you will discover some of the Winklebrig's idiosyncrasies and the many different ways owners handle same.
Overall, I think you will find she is a timeless, robust, characterful boat, which can sail quite well and offers a lot of usable accommodation, whilst retaining a good sized cockpit in a small package.
There are many features of her design, which are really well thought out and she is always a pleasure to view, sailing, at anchor, tied up and even sitting on the trailer.

David Bone.

RogerH

Hi David, nice to hear from you! I did a lot of research on the Winkle Brig before we  bought JenyaTan - and she basically ticks all the boxes for us - easily trailable, lots of character, easy to sail single handed, enough accomodation to keep you dry and warm.

I used to be a professional yacht skipper and my last boat was a 25m gaff-rigged ketch, so the Winkle Brig rig is something with which I'll be familiar.

Ballast seems to be a constant subject in the forum and I read with interest your posts about increasing the ballst internally. However, I'm a hefty lad at 6ft 2ins and more stones than I'd care to admit, so crew weight may play a larger part in our stabnility scheme than with others - as long as I sit well forward (so a tiller extension will be added asap). Perhaps we'll think of adding internal ballast later but for now we'll just see how she goes - see comment below about changing things.

Another area is the rudder - I see Martin converted his into a kick-up blade, which seems sensible to me if you're going to be sailing near the putty. That's something I'll be having a look at fairly soon.

I have a rule, however, not to change anything substantial about a boat for the first season's sailing, the rationale being that the previous owner will have found their remedies by trial and error and something that seems wrong will have you saying "_now_ I know why they did that" by the end of your first year's sailing.

Mainly we're looking forward to getting out on the water (we have her stationed at Bewl Water for now) and seeing how we go with her.

Thanks for the reply - no doubt speak again soon,

Cheers,

Roger.

Martin

Welcome Roger!

I know you will love the Winklebrig. Sound advice not to change anything until after the first season.
I am going to Morbihan in Brittany in May so it would be great to see you or any other Winklebriggers there if you can make it.

http://www.semainedugolfe.com/Home-1074-0-0-0.html

Regarding the trailer lock I use a Bulldog type like this which works for me:-
https://www.barriersdirect.co.uk/car-security-mirrors-signage-c1171/vehicle-clamps-c1205/bulldog-motor-home-4x4-wheel-clamp-10-out-of-10-for-security-in-auto-express-test-p718?shopping&gclid=CPyBktDE8dACFWcW0wodcYwLWw

Fair winds!

RogerH

Morbihan looks great - not sure we'll be going that far afield in the first year but who knows?

Mike Seller

Hi Roger,

Congratulations on buying your Winklebrig - you will have a lot of fun and good sailing. Regarding your security question I use a trailer hitch towball lock which fixes into the coupling head on the trailer to prevent unauthorised use - much  cheaper than wheel clamps. All the good Chandlers stock them.

Mike (W95).

RogerH

Hi Mike, thanks for the message. A hitch lock would've been my first option but my insurers insist on s clamp unfortunately. I'm looking forward immensely to our first sail and keeping fingers crossed for a mild and calm-ish day soon. Cheers for now, Roger.

dave_cawston

Hi Roger,
Welcome to the forum and the world of owning a WB.  We are fast approaching 30 years of WB ownership and have kept 'Markie' virtually standard with the only major changes being a running forestay and modifying the trailer to break-back, both make life so much easier.
Wheel clamps - are you with Saga by any chance, they specify a wheel clamp is required, but it can be one of the very simple and light types such as   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-HEAVY-DUTY-KEY-LOCK-CAR-CARAVAN-SECURITY-WHEEL-CLAMP-TRAILER-/302064390625?hash=item465470d1e1:g:SeAAAOSwLF1X~fyL  as long as it is sold as a wheel clamp, that is ok with Saga.  This type may not be the most secure, a hack-saw can cut through the steel but meets the requirements.
If you have a question regarding a WB, it has probably been discussed before, so a good rummage through this forum should give you an answer.
Enjoy sailing Jenya Tan
David

RogerH

Thanks David for the advice - looks possible!