News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

'Winkle'. For sale.

Started by Martin, June 21, 2017, 09:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin

'Winkle' will be going on the market shortly. After 15 years of sailing adventure (mostly single handed), I have decided the time has come to pass her onto younger hands.

'Winkle' and her trailer have been extensively modified for long distance and more challenging trips, and she turns heads wherever she goes. She was bought as a standard high peaked gaff rig and converted to lug rig, although all the original sails and spars for easy reversion to original rig are included.

Amongst many other minor improvements, the following modifications have been made:-

1.   Replacement extended bowsprit with larger jib and a staysail. Twin bobstays. Roller furling.
2.   Chain locker with 20 metres of chain. Bronze deck pipe.
3.   Second set of shrouds and optional running backstays.
4.   Brass Navigation lights and 12 volt battery, charged by Totatsu 6hp (4 stroke petrol). Separate 12 litre fuel tank in converted rear ventilated fuel locker.
5.   Teak strip hatch cover and rear locker covers.
6.   Replacement extra wide teak rubbing strakes.
7.   Two additional cockpit lockers.
8.   Sprayhood.
9.   Oak transom beam.
10.   Stainless steel guard rail and pushpit.
11.   Mizzen mast with reefable lugsail and bumkin.
12.   Auxiliary engine transom bracket.
13.   Auxiliary electric Torqeedo engine unused. (Price subject to negotiation if required).
14.   Avon Redcrest tender with oars and pump.
15.   Yuloh sculling oar.
16.   Mahogany rudder stock with retracting aluminium rudder blade.
17.   Cabin converted to two comfortable berths and built-in (dry) toilet. Water storage (20 litres), food and clothing lockers. Teak cutlery/crockery/wine rack storage. Gimballed Brass oil lamp. Clock and antique barometer.
18.   Trailer:- Roller coaster 7 with keel rollers and 3 pairs of rollers each side on swing beam with stainless steel spindles. 3x 950kg tyres new last year. Extra long jockey wheel for elevating for launching. Spare wheel.
19.   Launching device for car tow hook for shallow slipways if required.

'Winkle' is in good condition for her age having been wintered in a barn and annually 'buffed up' for her appearances at various European Festivals. (Venice, Morbihan, Brest, Duarnanez, and Wales). Locally I have sailed  most of the East Coast rivers and estuaries and in my opinion 'Winkle' provides the perfect touring vessel both on and off the road.

She is a fine little ship, all ready to take her new owner safely on their next adventure together.   

£8,000 complete.

andrewg149

Sorry to hear you are selling. Any chance of some photos of the mod's just to give us all inspiration and Brig envy!.. and hopefully some inspiration.

regards Andy

philshimmin

I'm sure many other 'brig sailors will be sorry to learn we are at the end of an era. We have read your numerous postings and your book, with great interest. Thankyou Martin. Best of luck with the sale, and  best wishes for the future.

Martin

Thanks for the kind words Phil and Andrew. I am sad to say goodbye to Winkle after many adventures, but it is time to move on and besides, I am not going anywhere and I plan to build a Yawl  sailing canoe next.

For anyone interested in seeing a rather hastily thrown together collection of words and pictures you can do so on www.winkle.life

rosswaddams

In case you're wondering who I am, this is my first post on the forum (in fact, my first post on any forum!).

I am looking to buy a Winkle Brig. Martin's "Winkle" would be too much for me, both in terms of cost and reputation. But if anyone wants to trade-up from their present WB, perhaps we could form a short chain.

philshimmin

WB100 is for sale,  near Preston, Lancs. A high peaked Gaffer. A picture is on the pictures page. Rgds Phil.
philshimmin@aol.com

CLARKSONPL

Kate and Paul have owned WB69 Krafty Kate about 7 years. We are now about to sell her. The package includes Road Trailer, 5hpTohatsu (5 year old recently serviced), autopilot, fishfinder,solar charger,covers,anchors fenders,ropes etc.KK is currently moored on Windermere, kept at home in Penwortham for the winters. She is a clean tidy smart boat and we will miss her. Price £6,900 .If interested contact clarksonpl@aol.com.

rosswaddams

Thank you for those swift responses.

I'm not familiar with the high-peaked rig. Does anyone have a photo of it? How easy is it to convert to the conventional gaff rig (I'm a fan of topsails)?

philshimmin

Hi Ross, the high peaked gaff is similar to the mirror dinghy rig, essentially a gunter rig. David bone has just posted a note on the rig page. Rgds.

rosswaddams

Thanks, Phil. I'll have look over on the Rig posts.

rosswaddams

Phil: I've had a good look at the high-peaked gaff and I'm afraid it's not doing anything for me. I've sailed a Shrimper quite a bit and kept looking up, wishing there was a topsail up there. WB100 looks a beauty and I could always go to the effort of converting her but I'm not ready to jump into that sort of "dockyard job" just yet.

Kate & Paul: Thanks for letting me know your boat is for sale. I'm sure you've put a lot of effort into her and that she's a splendid vessel too. But I think, with a little patience and a little luck, I can find a boat that's more in my budget. I do hope you find a good home for her.

There's another WB for sale and I'm off to see her tomorrow. Its a long trip and someone else has already been to see her this week so anything could happen.

Martin

'Winkle' has now been sold.
I will continue to take a keen interest in Winklebrigs and this website, allbeit as an ex-owner!
Many happy sailing days and kind regards to you all.

David Bone

Hello Martin,
I have incorporated many of your good ideas from the forum into my Winklebrig and your book is invaluable.
Thankyou very much and good luck for the future.
David

Martin

Thanks David.
'Fair winds and following seas' to you and all Winklebriggers.