News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Rigging

Started by VROUW KIRSTEN, September 27, 2016, 08:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VROUW KIRSTEN

Hello,

although sailing the WB is my favorite, the work  at the boat goes on. Actual the boom is in my focus. I am not really satisfied with the wooden yoke at the boom ( I have had some problems to reef the mainsail during an unexpected increasing wind) , additional the boom is a little too short to tense the foot of sail correct. As I started with the bulwark oak of local trees is my preferred material for all wooden parts at the boat. So I decided to combine a new oak-made boom with a bronze fitting to the mast. The structure is finished and I add some photos of the ongoing job.

Kind regards

Gerold
Life is happy, life is sweet, on a gaff rigged boat of 16 feet!

Paul Thomas

Why do gaff rigs normally use jaws on the boom? 

VROUW KIRSTEN

Hello Thomas,

I wouldn´t say expressly normally 8) . A gooseneck is the very common style of connection between the boom and the mast at the gaff rig. A jaw is an option, but mostly used at the gaff spar.  :)
I use a combination of gooseneck bands, a boom fitting and a combined fitting for both the tack of the sail, and for reefing pennants.

Kind regards

Gerold

venturerdave

A nice piece of casting for the gooseneck fitting. Is it a standard fitting or has it been custom made for you?

VROUW KIRSTEN

Hello,

it is a standard fitting, available from Toplicht GmbH or Classic Marine, the links are available at winklebrig.org

Gerold