News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Cutter Rig

Started by Old Forum, April 07, 2014, 08:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

geoffrey osborn

Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 11:46 am:      
The main benefit that I see for cutter rig is that the bowsprit is not required for holding up the mast.
Are there any recommendations for the stemhead fitting, and attachment positions for the staysail. (I assume that the original foresail/jib should continue to attach to the same mast band as the shrouds)

Old Forum

Roger Parish

Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 09:30 pm:      
I use a second forestay for added security but have never set a staysail. It does seem to set well on Martin Cartrights boat so I would expect some improvement in performance. I have set a stainless eyebolt in the stemhead as shown in the picture. This was fitted by drilling an oversize hole, filling with thickened epoxy and then screwing the bolt in. Dont use this method if you need to remove it! If you set it on the step on the stem then it will obstruct the resting point for the mast when in transit.

Old Forum

Martin Cartwright

Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 10:09 am:      
Geoffrey.
If you look under the section of the site entitled 'The Hull' and then my posting 'Strengthening for coastal use' you will see some close-up photos of what I have done.Roger is being kind about 'improvement in performance'. It is fun to goosewing with the two headsails downwind and it feels as if there is more power when punching upwind into a sea, but I don't actually think I go any faster.(It just feels like it with all the extra string!).