News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

log

Started by Clint, July 03, 2014, 11:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clint

I know it's unnecessary on a boat of this size, but has anyone ever fitted one of these to a WB?
http://www.nasamarine.com/proddetail.php?prod=Clipper_Duet, and how would you do get access to drill the hole, as I am led to believe the hull is packed with foam.

Clint

Mike Seller

Hi Tim - The answer is no but I do have nav aids which do help on a boat this size! I decided against installing a fixed log for speed that required a paddlewheel as I thought this could be damaged if ever I grounded or it got caught with the trailer roller bars when getting the boat on/off the trailer. I decided a hand held GPS would suffice. I do have a nasa depth sounder with the transducer fixed inside the aft starboard locker without the need to drill holes in the hull. The instrument itself is fixed in the cockpit above the U-bolt for the safety line harness. I made up a simple piece of wood (ply) about 6" in height which slots into the bottom washboard position which has a bracket for the GPS plus a compass. I know that some owners choose to screw their instruments onto the back of the lower washboard and use it in reverse whilst sailing however the height of the washboard hinders access to the cabin whilst in use. I also agree with Martin Cartwright's advice in his Winkle Brig Book - try to avoid drilling holes through the hull (especially below water level!).

Paul Thomas

Partan has a paddle wheel log mounted in the starboard aft locker.  It is packed around with black mastic and does not leak.  As far as I can tell there is no foam here as it appears to simply fit through the hull.  When heeled over on starboard tack it lifts out of the water and is rendered useless.