News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

New user, and soon to be new owner.

Started by Clint, April 26, 2014, 12:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clint

Hello, I am a complete novice when it comes to these beautiful little boats, most of my boating experience has been on powerboats, and I now have the chance to buy a Winkle Brig. I should be collecting her within the next few days.
So I am going to be asking loads of questions, and hope I don't become to much of a nuisance, she is in reasonable condition at the moment, but does need a fair amount of TLC, before she is ready to get her bottom wet again.
I have one immediate question, are there any objections to renaming her, as I promised my God Daughter I would name her after her.

Thank You

Clint

Rick

Hi Clint, and welcome to both the forum and the world of Winkle Brigs.

Questions are always welcome, and there is no such thing as a daft or a nuisance question! However, if you haven't already, have a scan through the forum topics, they are pretty comprehensive.

As to renaming a boat - it depends entirely on your belief in superstitions! Which boat is it? Are you planning on keeping it at home and trailing every time for a sail, or keeping it "on site"?

Oh dear, I've just broken another superstition by calling her "it".

So please be careful with black cats, never go to sea if you see a nun, don't whistle, plus another 99 reasons why someone didn't catch fish a 100 years ago!

All the best

Rick

dave_cawston

Hi Clint,
Yes welcome to our world.  It can become addictive.  Markie is now 27 years old and still going strong and we have yet to find another boat that overall would suit us better.  Yes it would have been very nice to have a heater when we were on the Norfolk Broads over Easter but you can't have everything, especially in such an easily towed and launched boat.  5 weeks and we will be on the Grand Western Canal near Tiverton followed by some sea sailing out of Torquay.  So much variety possible with a smallish lightweight trailer sailer.
Hope you make the purchase, good luck
Dave Cawston
WB15 Markie

Martin

Clint

Thank you for the warm welcome, oh the joy's of nautical superstitions. I fully plan to enjoy the renaming ceremony, I am sure Poseidon and the four winds won't mind, if I don't offer them too much  Pussers Rum. (On second thoughts it might be a few cans of IPA, I still have memories of Pussers Rum, and a very long evening/early morning somewhere near the Folly Inn)
As soon as I have her safely in our back garden I will have post a few pictures of her. I plan on keeping her at home, and trailering her around. I believe she is Liberta.

Clint

Rick

Hi Clint - when you get the chance, can you let me know which WB you've got, and what name you're going to use so that I can update the register?

Thanks

Rick

Clint

I will do that Rick.

Clint

Paul Thomas

Hi there Clint.  I too am planning on renaming for similar reasons.  I googled the subject and found plenty of information,  http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm  It seems that so long as you perform the ceremony precisely and consume sufficient alcohol you should be safe.  Whatever you do don't take a vicar on board though.  Good luck, I haven't risked it yet.

Clint

Hi Rick, I have just become the proud owner of a rather tired looking  WB93 Liberta. As you can see, she does need a lot of TLC before she is ready to be launched again. At the moment she is under our carport, and out of the elements, awaiting all my free time. The photo next to the garage is her in her old location, the other is in our drive.

For your records: Clint Marquardt, SE England.

Clint

Clint

Paul, I'm not sure if I can even tell anyone on here her new name yet, I don't want to upset Neptune/Poseidon. But l am sure they won't mind, her new name, is going to be "Bebop-A-Lulu"

dave_cawston

A lot of work for you Clint, spend some time looking through the forum topics as there is a lot that will make the 'restoration' easier.  Lots on various types of wood treatments, cleaning the bronze fittings and modifying the bulwarks and portholes so the bulwarks are 'quick release' spring to mind. 
The trailer looks unusual, not a Rollercoaster, is it a break-back?  Make sure you replace the winch strap, I had one of the orange ones and it snapped at the hook end, fortunately with Markie safely on the trailer, UV degradation.

Clint

I took my first really good look at her today, the interior is not too bad, should just need a good clean, and then I'll decide how to proceed with fitments, and other bits. The exterior woodwork looks awful, mostly because it's been left unprotected for almost 5 years. I have spotted the first signs of some delamination in the rudder, if I can't fix it with a suitable epoxy ( I have been following PBO's restoration of Hantu Biru), I might make a new one. Her Ladyship and I have some good ideas for her, the most major change we want to make is to the hull colour, we have been looking at Heligan, and both think she looks fantastic in white, our  sails are white and blue too, so the contrast should be good.

As for the trailer I'm not clued up on trailers, so I'll post a few photo's, any advice on the trailer would be fantastic, the previous owner told me he replaced the winch and strap about 2 years ago. I think the last time she was on the water was in  May 2009, I found a booklet of mooring fees for Chichester harbour.

Clint

Tim Churchill

Hi

Another newbie

I aquired a Winklebrig day boat last autumn.  Some TLC required and I will have some rig queries in due course as there are a few problems to solve.  I have found the forum really helpful.  Based on the South coast.

Many thanks

Regards  Tim

Rick

Congratulations Tim, and welcome to the site - hopefully a good sailing season coming up!

Can you please let me have the details (which boat number, name, location etc) so I can keep the register up to date? Thanks. (Either here or via the Contact Us on the main site).

Rick

Gwilym

Just a quick response on names even though I guess the thread is dead. I recently restored our Winkle brig and since purchase had been thinking of changing her name Of 'Constance' to something that had a little more meaning for me. I also was saturated since boyhood with all the bad luck stuff of changing a boats name. However I discovered while attending to a deep clean and polish of the gel coat another name underneath. 'Molly B' rather than easing my dilemma I then began to think I should change her name back again to Molly B. But no I decided to stay with Constance as much as I couldn't make my mind up as anything else and she has become Constance to us and she is a constant little boat. So there we are.