News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

The Winkle Brig Book

Started by Old Forum, April 13, 2014, 07:55:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 09:47 am:      
I spend some downtime in the New Year plundering the website to compile a short book on the Winkle Brig. Julian has kindly agreed to put a link on the homepage for anyone who is interested in buying a copy.The book is published on a 'print on demand' basis (ie each copy ordered is printed and sent out on a one-off basis) so I can update it at any time if anyone feels I have made any howlers. Do let me know your thoughts and I can include them in a second edition.

Old Forum

Mike_seller
Username: Mike_seller

Posted on Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 11:32 am:      
Hi Martin,

My copy of your book arrived this morning taking only a couple of days from placing my order. My first impression is that you have produced a fantastic "Bible" to the Winkle Brig and I know from just flicking through the pages that I am going to enjoy the read.
Can I also say that when you consider/compare the cost of a pint these days the book's retail price is unbelievable value for all the hard work done.

Many thanks,

Mike.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 06:00 pm:      
Many thanks Mike,for your kind words and feedback on the ordering process.
As the whole process is entirely out of my hands, it is a great relief that it actually works - and quite quickly!
I hope you enjoy the book, my only disappointment was that I couldn't reproduce the photos in colour.I tried, but the end result was too expensive.

Old Forum

David_bone
Username: David_bone

Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 09:43 pm:      
Excellent little book Martin.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Friday, April 26, 2013 - 06:00 am:      
Many thanks David.

Old Forum

Tim Willey
Username: Tim_willey

Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 - 12:41 pm:      
Great little book, very readable, with clear commentary on technique, sailing characteristics and 'do-able' modifications. Even includes useful insights (if you pardon the expression) into the Porta Potti. Many thanks Martin.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2013 - 06:51 pm:      
Many thanks Tim.

Old Forum

Barend Nieuwendijk
Username: Barend_nieuwendijk

Posted on Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 08:32 pm:      
Hello Martin,
Today I received the Winkle Brig book. It is a lovely book! Thanks for writing it.
If I manage to find some time, I will send some more details about my electric propulsion. Maybe someday it can be included in an update of the chapter 'the engine'.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Friday, May 03, 2013 - 08:59 am:      
Thanks Barend. I am pleased you like the book.
I am aware that the paragraph on electric propulsion is far too short, and as I feel that that the future of all outboard engines lies in electric propulsion - although perhaps not in my lifetime!, I would be very pleased to have your input, (as the leading Winkle Brig exponent of electric propulsion), to incorporate into future editions of the book.

Old Forum

David_owens
Username: David_owens

Posted on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 01:42 pm:      
A book like this is long overdue, but it was worth waiting for. Clear, concise and comprehensive, it it the Winklebrigger's chief accessory, written by one of the grandees of Winklebrig sailing, and in consultation with others. It is an excellent blend of Martin Cartwright's innovations with his unassuming rationales, as well as solid advice for the standard Winklebrig. Intriguingly each book is printed to order - gives a great feeling of one's personal copy This book is going to considerably enhance my enjoyment of Eric and Ali Bergqvist's timeless design.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 08:41 am:      
Many thanks David.