News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Ships Papers

Started by Old Forum, April 13, 2014, 07:40:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Mike_seller
Username: Mike_seller

Posted on Monday, August 27, 2012 - 06:27 pm:      
Hello All,
When I purchased "Heligan" (Sail No 95) she came without the paperwork recommended by the RYA such as proof of VAT paid and Builders Certificate etc. So what - it was love at first sight and whatever her background "Heligan" would be mine. However I do have dreams of taking the boat to foreign waters (France) one day and without this documentation am I looking for trouble - French Customs prison!
I emailed the Ferry Boatyard hoping for copies of any info - they kindly replied confirming all paperwork had gone with EB on the sale. I emailed the Yacht brokerage who had sold the boat to my vendor hoping they might have kept records - no reply. I have emailed EB via the info on this site but sadly no reply so far.
Am I being paranoid about Ships Papers on a little craft the size of a Winklebrig and would the French really throw me in jail as suggested for not having the relevant paperwork. Although I can hear the seagulls calling from the other side of the channel I doubt I have enough years left to explore our home waters. Can anyone tell me if this paperwork is available or even necessary. Another previous owner of "Heligan" is shown on this site sailing her in Portugal.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 08:18 am:      
Hi Mike.
I worried about this a lot to begin with, as I don't have any papers either. (Who does with a 20 year old boat which has changed hands many times?). I have since been to festivals in Venice, Morbihan and Brest and the officials couldn't be less interested in paperwork. I may have just been lucky, but I think they use the deminimis principal- the Winklebrig is just too small to bother about!

Old Forum

Mike_seller

Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 03:33 pm:      
Many thanks Martin for your prompt and reassuring reply. If however I am taken to the guillotine you will be my last thought! Seriously I think you are right but maybe if one had an accident the officials might then ask for the paperwork.

Old Forum

Barend Nieuwendijk
Username: Barend_nieuwendijk

Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 08:17 pm:      
Hi Mike
Within the European Community (of which Great Britain is a member) there is free travel of goods if they are privately owned. So you do not have to bother about not having the original paperwork. We travelled many times with our boat over the borders.
But to be sure we have an international certificate pleasure craft ownership. In the Netherlands we can obtain that at the ANWB.
In your country you can obtain such an certificate at :
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Boatingandtravellingbywater/Pleas ureCraft/DG_180594
When traveling abroad you can prove with this certificate that your boat is yours.

Old Forum

Mike_seller

Posted on Friday, August 31, 2012 - 09:38 am:      
Hi Barend,
Thank you Barend for that and in particular about the IC for proof of ownership. Good to know there are Winklebrig owners ready available to share information. Some years ago I sailed on the Ijsselmeer and through the canals helping a friend get his boat back to Harwich UK. Had a great few days thanks to the Dutch hospitality.

Old Forum

Mike_seller

Posted on Friday, September 14, 2012 - 08:25 pm:      
On my original post I mentioned that I had emailed EB "but sadly no reply so far". Eric did get in touch this week and we have now spoken on the telephone - what a joy to hear from the man who gave me "Heligan". This equals if not surpasses my chat with Uffa Fox at the 1963 London Boat Show! EB is confident that I shall never be asked to produce "paperwork" but as a matter of historical interest should be able to provide some answers from his records given time - thank you EB.