News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Halyard bags: fixing

Started by Old Forum, April 13, 2014, 07:24:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Pam Freeman
Username: Pam_freeman

Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2011 - 10:55 am:      
I've given myself a good Autumn/Winter sewing job in that I'm make a pair of canvas halyard bags for Mudlark. I see that quite a few of you have them on your WBs.
May I ask, please, how you've fixed them to the grp of the cabin? I wondered whether to use Velcro, gluing it to the cabin etc - or would it be better to have a thin wooden batten to attach each one to, having said batten "screwed" to the grp...? Answers on a postcard to....
Many thanks

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 08:22 am:      
I don't bother with them myself as I prefer to chuck the rope down into the cabin when I am sailing. In this way it is less likely to become tangled. Howevr, if I did fit them, I think I would simply use a couple of small bolts through the grp coachroof 'wall'.

Old Forum

George Billington
Username: George_billington

Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 05:42 pm:      
I've used them on another boat, and as Martin suggests, bolted onto a short wooden batten, at the top, inside of the bag, then through the cabin wall and use large ss washers under the nuts. Also a good idea to put some mastic on the outside, just to make sure that water can't get in. I prefer Plumbers Mait, non setting, a bit messy sometimes but works well. Also if making bags, have a wire frome at the top to keep the bag open.

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 01:00 pm:      
I have tried bags of various sorts and in the end decided just to coil and hang the halyard against the Bulkhead. I think it looks appropriately boaty, and when you just want to lounge back against the bulkhead, you can push them up on the cabin roof where they are out of the way.

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 01:00 pm:      
I have tried bags of various sorts and in the end decided just to coil and hang the halyard against the Bulkhead. I think it looks appropriately boaty, and when you just want to lounge back against the bulkhead, you can push them up on the cabin roof where they are out of the way.

Old Forum

Pam Freeman
Username: Pam_freeman

Posted on Monday, November 21, 2011 - 03:54 pm:      
Thanks so much, gentlemen, your comments and suggestions being well noted. I take your points Martin and Julian and, being totally silly, I think I'll go for the compromise, being all housewifey and making the bags and thus try a season with them and then see where we go from there! If I end up finding they prove a bally nuisance or just not used, then I'll make sure any fixing holes are well-plugged and water-proofed. If I'm honest, I think all this is just because I can't get the darn WB out of my mind and "playing with boats" is just wonderful!
Thanks again - and all best wishes,
Pam