News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Maintenance tips

Started by Old Forum, April 12, 2014, 02:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Ben Fraser
Username: Ben_fraser

Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 04:36 pm:      
Hi everyone. I hope your all enjoying your winklebrigs. I'm giving Mudlark a mid season tidy before the scottish traditional boat festival this weekend. The down side of this is that I notice all the wee scrapes, scratches and stains on the topsides and deck. Anyone got any pointers or trade secrets for keeping the hull clean or returning a tired hull to its former glory? I'm currently using soapy water, high strength stain remover and 'gel coat restorer and wax', with average results.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 05:56 pm:      
I use a Rupes mechanical polisher with '3M Marine Finesse-it 11 Finishing Material'.This is mild cutting agent like 'T-cut' for cars and is used extensively in the boatyards commercially.

Having tried elbow grease for many years I have come to the conclusion that a mechanical polisher is the only way. It is much quicker and you get much better results even though the initial capital outlay is quite high (£200ish).I have had mine for 5 years so far and I think it will see me out so it is not a bad long term investment. (You might be able to hire one from a local tool hire shop?).

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 09:29 am:      
I am from the school of thought that says "real" boats are ones with lots of "wee scrapes, scratches and stains". Learn to love them!