News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Cockpit tent!

Started by Old Forum, April 07, 2014, 08:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Adrian Evans

Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 03:39 pm:      
Despite being a hardened camper, I must admit to being foxed by the cockpit tent on Peggoty. I suspect that some lines and shock cord are missing, but would be grateful if anyone could run through the pitching/rigging procedure!
Many thanks.

Old Forum

Martin Cartwright

Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 05:29 pm:      
Adrian:- I think you will have to show us what you have (photo?). Mine is fairly straightforward. You simply sling it over the boom, velcro in front of the mast and hook the shock cord over hooks either side under the gunwhales.The back unzips completely to allow access.
PS I use mine (without the back) as a large spray-dodger when motor/sailing under jib&staysail and mizzen.Particularly good with all the rain we have had!

Old Forum

James_parsons
Username: James_parsons

Posted on Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 10:11 pm:      
Does anyone have a pattern for the cockpit tent, or any suggestions as to who could supply one? Looks like a great way to increase the under cover space at moorings, particularly when it's cold and wet! Happy to make one if I can get an approximate sketch of one, or a picture of one laid out flat with some approx dimensions.

Old Forum

Malcolm_brearley
Username: Malcolm_brearley

Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 09:50 pm:      
First I'd just like to introduce ourselves - Malcolm & Belinda - we have taken on Bob's Whimbrel (no 22) and really looking forward to sailing the Broads in her.

Now my question is regarding the Cockpit tent: my first forays have failed. If I lace in front of the mast the 'windows' end up alongside the cabin top and the little lace on V-section reduces the cockpit to about 1/3 volume!

Here is my attempt on the washing line!

Bob said he never used it - and it maybe for a Wayfarer!!

Any ideas/help!

Malcolm

Old Forum

Mike_seller
Username: Mike_seller

Posted on Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 06:12 pm:      
Hi Malcolm - Welcome. From the photographs in the gallery Whimbrel looks a super little boat. I recently purchased Heligan (sail no 95) so still learning all about these delightful craft.

From the photo you appear to have the standard tent and mine fits behind the mast. Apologies if you have already checked out the gallery but a few clues as to how things should look in the picture of W108. Also suggest you buy a copy of Martin Cartwright's fantastic little book. The picture of his tent on Markie is behind the mast with mast raised using the topping lift.

Old Forum

Malcolm_brearley

Posted on Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 07:17 pm:      
Hi Mike - thanks for getting back to me. I had seen the picture in Martin's book (actully bought The book before the boat - and it is a great help!!). However I got very confused by the chat above that talks about Velcro-ing in front of the mast. Also I'd seen the picture of the WB108 - but that is a dayboat and in deed is velro-ed in front of the mast. We'll try with re-newed enthusiasm!!

Malcolm

Old Forum

Mike_seller
Username: Mike_seller

Posted on Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 08:52 pm:      
Malcolm - I can appreciate your dillema - infront or behind the mast - depends where you are sitting - is the glass half empty or half full!
I see from the photos of your boat you have the lacing hooks fitted under the rubbing strakes so this should tell you how far back the tent should fit ie the lenght of the cockpit. Thank goodness you have the book - after sending my last message thought you might see me as an Agent on a retainer!

Old Forum

Paul Thomas
Username: Paul_thomas

Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2013 - 03:18 pm:      
I have a tent for my boat. If I secure it in front of the mast it only reaches about half way along the cockpit, however I can secure it further aft so it just covers the hatch to create a bit more space. I also have a large tarp, co-incidentally just the right colour and size (3m x 3m I think)which I use to extend it if required, this will cover the whole cockpit. It is then quite tricky getting in and out of the boat! There are some pictures on my 'FB' page which illustrate this all quite well.

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Sunday, June 16, 2013 - 12:05 pm:      
On Markie, the rear edge of the front section of the boom tent sits above the outer cleat located on the underside of the boom. I have two stainless steel hooks on either side screwed to the underside of the rubbing strake, the rearmost being 32" forward from the transom with the second being a further 52 1/2" forward. So the rearmost cringle on the bottom edge of the boom tent hooks on to the rear hook and the cringle where the bottom of the boom tent starts to angle up goes on the second. I fit the forward one first and a bit of gentle stretching is required to fit the rear one so they stay in place whilst hoisting the boom. I have a quick release shackle that links the lacing on the jaws of the boom and gaff, so by pulling up on the gaff throat halyard and the topping lift, I can get the boom tent hoisted so it sits with good tension front and back. Then I lace up the front of the tent passing the very bottom loop around the tabernackle making sure it sits beneath the domed brass nuts. Apologies for the long winded description, rear section to follow.

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Sunday, June 16, 2013 - 12:20 pm:      
Rear section: tie the top around the boom so it butts against the front section, then fasten the two lines (not the lacing lines) to the cleat on the underside of the boom and take the other end of these lines to the rear port and starboard quarters. Then, if you do not have the later zip type, lace the rear to the front on both sides and hey presto, one pretty watertight and non flappy boom tent, for me anyway. It took me quite a time to get it all set up, I have a few additional small lines and bungee with quick release shackles to pull the boom tent tight.

Old Forum

Malcolm_brearley

Posted on Monday, June 17, 2013 - 10:12 am:      
Many thanks David, and Mike and Paul. I can see a few hours of fun coming up to perfect this but better in the sun than the pouring rain!