News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Winkle Brigs at Festivals

Started by Old Forum, April 12, 2014, 01:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 10:55 am:      
There used to be an event called the International Festival of The Sea that has been attended by a few WBs in the past. It looks like there will not be any more of these, but they were great fun to be part of.
How about getting some WBs together for a festival or two (we go to the IWA National Trailboat Rallies but they are on canals so not much sailing).
Looking at the Port Soy 2009 boats list, I see Mudlark was on the list, did you go Ben and what was it like? Was it suitable for WBs regarding launching, mooring etc?
Any other ideas for possible events to attend?

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Monday, October 12, 2009 - 07:20 am:      
Seafair Haven 2010 www.seafairhaven.org.uk follows the same format as the Semaine Du Golfe did this year in Morbihan, Brittany.
This year there were masses of small gaffers, some wood some fibreglass and it was a wonderful event (over 1000 boats). I don't know what Milford Haven is like but I intend to go. It would be great if we could get a fleet of Winklebrigs in the 'Old Gaffers' flotilla.

Old Forum

David Cawston

Posted on Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 11:23 am:      
This looks interesting Martin. We were thinking of possibly going to Milford Haven in late May (if we are not going to Australia) after the IWA Trailboat Rally in South Wales. We have sailed MH many years ago based at Neyland (good slip if a little exposed to cross tides/winds). But this is the type of event I have in mind.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Friday, October 23, 2009 - 07:31 pm:      
How did the Windermere cruise go David? Any photos?
Sorry I couldn't make it this year. Settled for a weekend on the Broads which was blustery and cold but a lovely Autumn weekend.Hope to have at least one more sail before the end of the season.

Old Forum

David Cawston

Posted on Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 05:17 pm:      
A lovely sail on Friday afternoon, bright and breezy, no wind at all Saturday morning but in the afternoon, just enough breeze to sail from Ferry Nab to Waterhead and a peaceful night up the Brathay. Sunday, no wind at all, drizzle that became constant rain in the afternoon, not very pleasant. and our outboard started to pack up. Hope it was just dirt in the carb.. No photos, no action to capture. Markie now tucked up for the winter. Milford Haven in my plans for next year.

Old Forum

Ben Fraser
Username: Ben_fraser

Posted on Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 12:33 pm:      
Hi David, Portsoy was great! We sailed Mudlark from Lossiemouth 20 miles west so i cant really comment on launching at the festival but there was a huge variety of trailable craft and i didnt hear any complaints. We had a close encounter with two minke whales on our way there and a school of bottle nose dolphins on our way back! It was beautifully sunny if lacking in wind. Great craic and boat chat. We'll be there next year and i'de love to meet some other winklebrigers there.

Old Forum

David Cawston

Posted on Friday, December 04, 2009 - 05:13 pm:      
I have registered for SeaFair Haven 2010, starting to get some info through, not 100% sure I will be there but hopefully will be. Anyone else able to bring their WB along? Certainly Milford Haven offers great sailing opportunities for boats like WBs

Old Forum

Roger Parish
Username: Roger_parish

Posted on Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 08:12 pm:      
I registered with Seahaven after Davids posting and it has been brought to my attention that Partan is listed on the Seahaven website as a participating vessel. This was a surprise since I have not received official notification. I have emailed the organisers as there is little information on the website about schedule of events. This makes it difficult to plan launching point, accommodation etc. Does anyone have experience of the 2008 event and can offer advice?

Old Forum

David Cawston

Posted on Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 12:49 pm:      
Markie is now also on the list of participating boats, I just hope I can make it. I will probably be day sailing with the sail and oar fleet based at the Pembrokeshire Adventure Centre.
http://www.princes-trust.org.uk/pembrokeshire_adventure_centre/centre.aspx
So that will involve day trips but returning to the centre every night and possibly pulling out to overnight in their car park or boatyard.
Anyone else interested in attending?

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 04:20 pm:      
I have just registered for Seahaven.
In response to Roger's queries, I didn't go to the 2008 event but if it is anything like the 2009 Morbihan Week (there is some sort of link up between the organisers of the two), there will be a lot of information issued closer to the start date and it will be very well organised in terms of launching, parking,flotillas, accommodation (if required), free food etc.