News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Raising & Lowering the mast

Started by Old Forum, April 06, 2014, 10:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Richard_cowlishaw
Username: Richard_cowlishaw

Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 07:00 pm:      
Thankyou Martin and Roger for your advice re the kicker I shall give it a try as soon as I am happy with the mast raising system. I have tried the system but I am not happy with the rope I have used, I bought 30ft which is more than enough,it would not have been such a problem had I been able to visit the local sail maker (Alverbanks)but he is no longer in business and there is such a wide variety of rope on the internet I do not want to order the wrong one.

Old Forum

David_owens
Username: David_owens

Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 09:55 pm:      
I've never used a kicker either, but I know I haven't sailed my boat in the conditions some here have, including both Martin and Roger. On the David Cawston mast lowering system, the rigger I used charged me for 12 metres of Dyneema. I haven't measured it myself but I presume that's about it. As you can see from the discussion above, on the recommendation of the rigger, I have used 5mm polyester covered Dyneema. David Cawston, who originated this brilliant system, uses 8mm.

Old Forum

Richard_cowlishaw

Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 08:08 pm:      
Hi David, I have plumped for 9 meters of 10mm 3 strand pre stretched polyester in white, which I have read is ideal for halyards and has been used succesfully to replace wire halyards, two other factors influenced my choice, firstly the 3 strand polyester appears traditional and matches the other ropes on "Muddy" and secondly the price at 2.29 meter compared to 4.99 meter for 10mm dyneema, I agree that dyneema is possible the best but the polyester should be more than capable for the job ( I hope )I will let you know how it is. Thankyou.

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 11:37 pm:      
Hi Richard,
A word of caution over using 3 strand. As it passes throught the pulleys, it will twist because of the lie of the strands and stops the rope from running easily and smoothly. That is also why I have changed the gaff peak and throat halyards to multiplat with a single purchase (the halyards cannot get twisted on themselves), which means although a bit more effort is required to hoist the gaff, it goes up (and down) much quicker, more freely and uses less rope. Regarding the size of the rope for the running forstay, although a 5mm Dyneema is plenty strong enough, I prefer a thicker rope because it is easier to grip and handle.

Old Forum

Richard_cowlishaw

Posted on Friday, May 25, 2012 - 11:09 am:      
Hi David, thankyou for that I shall look out for it twisting, hopefully once I have got the mast up it will be staying up for some time while I fiqure out the rest of the rig.