News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Winkle Brig weight - a problem?

Started by Old Forum, April 11, 2014, 11:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Mary Brown
Username: Mary_brown

Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 06:14 pm:      
A friend mentioned that WB's were "too" heavy. Displacement is quoted as 650kg whereas a Drascombe Coaster - a bit longer and a bit wider than the WB is only 480kg.
Does anyone know why such a big difference and is it a problem - in sailing terms?

Old Forum

David Peck
Username: David_peck

Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 07:58 pm:      
Coaster
The Drascombe Coaster is Drascombe Longboat with a little cuddy in its bows. The cabin on a WB is actually very substantial for the size of boat. The free board on the WB is much higher than the coaster making the boat much deeper, both these attributes accounting for the extra weight.
So much depends on what you want out of a boat, the Coaster will drive into large waves better than the WB, but in reasonably calm waters ( estuaries, sheltered coastal waters and inland waters) the WB will give good sailing performance, and give comfortable accommodation. I class the WB as a 'big boat' style of sailing, the coaster is really in the large Dinghy category.
Even tho' I've jokingly said the WB's cabin is gloryfied camping on water, you could say you are in a nice 'frame tent', it is much more commodious than the Coaster, which in the same vein, I would class as being in a one man mountain tent.
I have launched and recovered both boats and despite their difference in weight there's nothing to choose between their ease of carrying out these operations. I sailed a Drascombe Lugger (3ft shorter than the coaster) and no cuddy (I won't call it a cabin). I loved the Lugger but wanted a cabin, the Coaster in this respect would not have siuted my requirements.
I hope these comments are of use.
David

Old Forum

Mary Brown
Username: Mary_brown

Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 05:22 pm:      
Thank you David, very helpful indeed. Lots of food for thought. We have a larger (28') boat and the WB would be a real luxury, used in Spring and autumn mainly. Certainly the WB is the one we're drawn towards.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 08:00 pm:      
I raced against a Lugger once at an Old Gaffer's Association weekend off Southwold in a reasonable breeze and lumpy sea. The lugger pointed better than we did, but as there aren't many upwind legs on Old Gaffers races this wasn't a problem and on a beam reach and down wind she couldn't catch us. I would say the Winklebrig was certainly drier and looked more stable and I seem to remember we beat the Drascombe over the line! Go for the WB!