News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Clunking Trailer

Started by Old Forum, April 10, 2014, 02:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Tim Willey
Username: Tim_willey

Posted on Monday, August 13, 2012 - 04:18 pm:      
I've never had a braked trailer before so I'm not sure if the following is normal. I've a standard roller-coaster which, after coming to a halt and then pulling away gives a disconcerting clunk, despite my being very gentle on the gas pedal. Is there any adjustment or attention needed?

Old Forum

Roger Parish
Username: Roger_parish

Posted on Monday, August 13, 2012 - 07:44 pm:      
Almost certain hitch damper needs replacing. Not expensive and fairly easy to fit. You can check this when not hitched to car by pushing and pulling on hitch. If it slides easily damper will need replacing. Should offer stiff resistance.
Also check up/down movement as bushes do become warn. Not so easy to obtain or replace. Good luck.

Old Forum

Tim Willey

Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 11:23 am:      
Thanks very much for that, I'll get to it asap and I'll post up the outcome.

Old Forum

Tim Willey

Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 05:41 pm:      
You were absolutely right, the stopring on the damper drawtube has disappeared and so the drawbar end has been slamming into the rear bush. consequently the composite bush has been badly damaged. As you say the problem now is finding a replacement bush and fitting one, as on this particular 'Knott KRV 13' model it doesn't seem to be a replacement part. Even the 2 grease nipples which I guess locate through the 2 bushes are not a screw-out fitting. Mmmmm? Does it really mean a new complete coupling?

Old Forum

Roger Parish
Username: Roger_parish

Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 07:49 pm:      
Tim see my posting under trailer hitch 2007. I obtained replacement bushes direct from Knott at that time but only fitted the front one which is the easiest of the two! I think I decided that completely dismantling the unit was beyond my skills and was prepared to purchase new unit if necessary. However replacement of the front bush removed the play.

Old Forum

David_owens
Username: David_owens

Posted on Monday, August 27, 2012 - 11:05 am:      
After three years I am finally sailing solo on the Bristol Channel. Ok, ok - it has taken a while, but it's well worth it. One query though. Given the range and speed of tides, motor sailing is a regular necessity. But how do you do it properly? Do you put the engine on and sail regardless (setting the sails and so forth). Or, as some have suggested, do you tighten the mainsheet so it is centred, and roller reef the jib. BTW, you can blame Roger Parish, my Facebook friend for the attached pic who suggested I post it here (well, I hope it's attached ...).

Old Forum

David_owens
Username: David_owens

Posted on Monday, August 27, 2012 - 11:08 am:      
Bloody marvellous. I finally crack how to post a pic in a message - and I get it in the wrong thread!

Doh ;)