News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Stabiliser

Started by Old Forum, April 10, 2014, 11:33:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

David_owens
Username: David_owens

Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2011 - 10:27 pm:      
I towed my Winklebrig to Poole Harbour and to Milford Haven from Cardiff Bay this year without any problems. In fact I was surprised at how straightforward it was. However, my brother, a keen caravanner is very surprised I don't use a stabliser. Does anyone use one? What advantages might it have?

Old Forum

Roger Parish
Username: Roger_parish

Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2011 - 10:40 pm:      
Hi David. I always use a stabiliser when towing my caravan and would not tow without . However I never felt the need to use one when towing the brig. The windage and potential for sway from passing vehicles is much greater on the caravan.

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2011 - 08:45 pm:      
No stabiliser for us either, the Roller Coaster trailer works so well with a WB on top, no sway at 65 mph, even with a blowout at 60 nothing. 6 or 8 ply tyres pumped up to 50psi makes a big difference. I am sure it is something to do with the aerodynamic shape of the bow/hull cutting through the wind whereas a caravan has the aerodynamics of a brick.

Old Forum

George Billington
Username: George_billington

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2011 - 09:11 pm:      
Good People, My 'tame' Trailer Engineer told me, a while ago that the three reasons trailers snake, are, in order : Bearings need to be in good condition, tyre pressures too low and . or not equal - probably 50 psi as David has is fine - mine are just over 45 psi, Load uneven on trailer - too much nose weight, so move boat, or when loading caravan, any heavy items should be on the axle. Hope that helps.

Old Forum

David_owens
Username: David_owens

Posted on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 10:40 pm:      
Thanks one and all. For the record, I bought a noseweight scales (I cannot resist a gizmo), and I tow at abut 50kg, or just about the minimum recommended. Also my tyre pressures are 65psi - which is in my handbook - but which was also confirmed by Indispension when I phoned head office. Finally, I do service the trailer annually. So with luck I am fulfilling George's three requirements.