News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Thoughts for storage please from a "newbie"

Started by Old Forum, April 10, 2014, 11:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Pam Freeman
Username: Pam_freeman

Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2011 - 03:19 pm:      
Mudlark will be being put to bed early this year and I wondered, please, if any of you have any ideas/tips for care, of the trailer in particular, with the WBs stored on same during the Winter. Is it true, for example that. as the boats are on their trailers for some time, the tyre pressures should be reduced... and to what? As a newbie to all of this, I'd really appreciate, please, any tips that your experiences have gleaned over the years. Thank you, Pam.

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Monday, September 19, 2011 - 11:57 am:      
The best thing for the tyres is to get the wheels off all together and store them somewhere out of sunlight. I usually prop my boat on axle stands or concrete blocks and take the wheels off. The other major concern with Winkle Brig trailers is the brakes. Mine seized up each winter. Make sure they are really flushed out. Take them apart if you can. Make sure the trailer brakes are off over the winter so that the shoes don't rust onto the drums. I hated the braked trailer, which is one reason I changed boats. Even though my BayCruiser is four feet longer it is 400kg lighter and only needs an unbraked trailer.

Old Forum

George Billington
Username: George_billington

Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 12:59 pm:      
Hi Pam, Julian is spot on with the advice - don't forget to take the Spare Wheel indoors as well! I'd also suggest that you put a support under the front, near the jockey wheel, to take the weight off the wheeel, and finally - whilst cleaning out the drums, remove the bearings and regrease them.

Old Forum

Pam Freeman

Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 01:56 pm:      
Thank you - both of you Julian and George - for such comprehensive advice and tips. I've made sure I've copied/printed every word so I don't forget anything!
I spotted a spare set of axle stands at the yard t'other day and they certainly look of ample size to adjust for Mudlark. I shall have a word with their owner as I know he's sold his boat.
And yes, you're quite right George: I'd completely forgotten that the spare wheel would need seeing to as well.
I shall drink a toast to both of you this evening; your words are much appreciated. P

Old Forum

Pam Freeman

Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 01:56 pm:      
Thank you - both of you Julian and George - for such comprehensive advice and tips. I've made sure I've copied/printed every word so I don't forget anything!
I spotted a spare set of axle stands at the yard t'other day and they certainly look of ample size to adjust for Mudlark. I shall have a word with their owner as I know he's sold his boat.
And yes, you're quite right George: I'd completely forgotten that the spare wheel would need seeing to as well.
I shall drink a toast to both of you this evening; your words are much appreciated. P

Old Forum

George Billington
Username: George_billington

Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 08:18 pm:      
Glad to be of service. One thing I do is to support the trailer on four supports, one at each side of the mudguard, on the supports that run along the the length of the boat, rather than the axle. Motorworld and Halfords stock quite good, cheap 2 ton Trolley Jacks, by the way. A piece of wood between the support and trailer are useful, stops the galvanising getting scratched. Also, if possible make sure that there is a fall towards the stern, so that the rain runs off, and doesn't sit on the woodwork.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 - 09:04 pm:      
Being a bit more lazy, I leave the brakes off but keep the wheels on, simply taking the weight off them by putting a block under the keel at the back and winding down the jockey wheel.When the boat is thus supported only by the jockey wheel and the end of the keel, I put some blocks under the keel in the middle. I cover the whole thing - boat, trailer and wheels with a cheap blue tarpaulin.This method of lifting the boat off the trailer is handy when it comes to antifouling or working on the trailer.

Old Forum

Roger Parish
Username: Roger_parish

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 11:25 am:      
Martin that is an excellent idea and easily applied. I always put a support under the keel anyway to stop the boat tipping if I get aboard. I found that a flat had developed on the tyres after standing only a couple of weeks although this would probably disappear quickly once on the road. Will probably only take half the weight off the wheels. Will wind the jockey wheel up now!

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 04:58 pm:      
One small point about leaving the boat tipped up with a fall towards the stern. I have found that with the position of the Winklebrig's timberwork it is actually better to have the stern higher as although this means rain water in the cockpit can't get out, it doesn't come into contact with any timber so can't do any damage. If you tip the bow up, water/moisture gets trapped in the the tabernacle (where it rots the base) and can get trapped against the bulwarks where the coachroof meets the foredeck. I therefore leave mine with the bow down.

Old Forum

Pam Freeman

Posted on Monday, October 17, 2011 - 10:47 am:      
Thanks to all of you.
I've gleaned so much from the Forum - forumS - and although we don't see each other, the responses are such that I truly feel I'm amongst individuals who care about their WBs and aren't too "above it all" to share their knowledge! Finding the group and joining was the best thing I ever did. I've never known a group to be as openly helpful - and encouraging as this one so, a Big THANK YOU to everyone. Having my own WB at last is the culmination of many years of wishing and now that I have her, I'm darn sure I want to do the very best I can to keep her going for umpteen years yet.....
Pam

Old Forum

David_owens
Username: David_owens

Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2011 - 10:32 pm:      
Hi Pam - I must say I admire your enthusiasm and I don't feel the 'new boy' now with you around. I have to agree this forum is superb, and in the couple of years I've owned my Winklebrig, I've found this a remarkable source of advice and information, as have been the contributors I've been lucky enough to meet at various events.
I just wanted to add to Martin's observation about water gathering by the tabernacle. I still have my boat on the water, and I noticed that it is gathering there now. I think this must be because the weather is so much wetter than the summer, and the water doesn't evaporate so easily.
Needs watching.