News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Tyres

Started by Old Forum, April 10, 2014, 11:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 04:26 pm:      
Can someone tell me if it is a good idea to change your tyres after 6 years, even if there is no outward signs of wear, bulging or cracking. I am towing to Italy next month and wonder if now would be a good time to change them.

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 05:15 pm:      
Personally, as long as there is no visible damage, bulging or cracks and that includes even the smallest cracks in amongst the tread blocks or the side walls, as those cracks can allow moisture to reach the steel reinforcement, I would not replace the tyres. But who am I to advise, having had 2 high speed big blowouts on the trailer!! I now jack the trailer up to take the weight off the tyres after every trip and cover the tyres up with cheap vinyl spare wheel covers. I am a skinflint and don't like spending money. But I am sure someone with more technical knowledge will say otherwise and that there is an age related lifespan.

Old Forum

Roger Parish
Username: Roger_parish

Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 10:28 pm:      
The Caravan Club recommends changing them after eight years. You never can tell as I had one tyre delaminate after about 5 years and I never saw any indication of failure. They do carry a heavy load per tyre. Yesterday I enquired about one new tyre for my car to put on front axle together with the unused spare. National tyres said they would never fit a tyre over 5yrs old even though the spare was unused! When/if you buy new tyres always check the manufactured date stamped on the tyre. Not much point changing them on time basis if tyres supplied are old stock! (info after DOT mark)

Old Forum

George Billington
Username: George_billington

Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 07:12 pm:      
Hi Martin, I'd suggest that you change them pdq. As Roger and Dave said, you can't always see the damage - and when you can, it's too late! I found a trailer web site recently which covered tyres etc. Can't remeber the address, but I found it by using Google - I was actually looking for tips on how to calculate the correct pressures. Dave does the right thing by jacking up the trailer - and I've been advised, by a Trailer Engineer, to remove the wheels when not in use, to reduce the damage to bearing housings. Also, I was advised to carry a complete set of bearings as spares - I assume you've done this. So no tyre or bearing troubles for me - but despite all of these precautions, my axle broke last year! Not cheap to repair - but that's another story!

Old Forum

Adrian Evans
Username: Adrian_evans

Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 10:34 pm:      
The excellent 'wheel and tyre bible':
http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html
says never use a tyre that is more than six years old. There is a clear explanation of reading the dot codes, and much, much more - how much would you like to know about wheels and tyres?!

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 06:45 am:      
Many thanks all for extremely useful information about a tyre world I never knew existed!
When checking the date stamp on mine I found the tyres to be over a year older than the trailer so they are approaching 8 years old. I am changing them today and will take the opportunity to increase to load rating, (which was the very minimum for the trailer weight).
Thanks again.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 09:56 am:      
Some very good advice from Roger here. I have just been down to the tyre centre to pick up my tyres and armed with my new found knowledge, I checked the date stamp and the 'new' ones were over two years old! This doesn't matter for most van users who will wear them out long before the 6 year 'life' but for us it takes 30% off the life of the tyre.