News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Which car for most economical WB towing?

Started by Old Forum, April 10, 2014, 11:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

James_parsons
Username: James_parsons

Posted on Saturday, May 23, 2009 - 08:16 pm:      
At the moment I have a BMW X5 which is absurdly expensive to run and way over the top for towing my WB. I'm thinking of seriously reducing my carbon footprint (and the size of the hole in my wallet!) so can anyone recommend an economical car capable of towing the WB without struggling, and remaining legal? All suggestions gratefully received!

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 10:44 pm:      
I tow with a Subaru Legacy Estate 2.2 automatic. So a 4x4 with automatic transmission is fantastic for pulling, especially up slipways (no clutch to burn out). As Subarus like drinking petrol, I have also got it running on LPG, 43p per litre yesterday, so now very cheap to run. I find cruising at 60mph a doddle. This is my third Subaru, they fit the bill perfectly for towing something the size of a WB.

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 01:53 am:      
I used a Subaru Forester for towing mine, and you wouldn't have known there was a boat there. Subaru's suit a WB somehow.

Old Forum

James_parsons

Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 09:05 am:      
Thanks guys. I think I'm looking for the philosopher's stone. I want a frugal runabout I can use for shopping trips and also something that will pull the boat. I'm thinking of something like a second hand VW Golf Diesel or the equivalent Ford Focus or Skoda. The sales blurb indicates that the towing capacity is well within the range of these cars. I guess everything is a compromise. I know I may struggle sometimes, and slippery slips may be a problem sometimes, but for motorway cruising, I think smaller cars should be ok? The imperative is that I'm thinking of early retirement, and part of the deal is making significant economies....

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 10:03 am:      
Hi James. I think the problem will be recovery on a slipway, not the towing. When I first had the WB I towed it with a Peugeot 306 1.6l. No problem towing at all, just a little slow on hills. But when I tried to recover up a wet slipway the front wheels just spun. If it had been rear wheel drive I think it would have been fine. I don't think the 4WD of the Subarus is necessary, it is just that two of those driving wheel are at the back, where you need them. Unfortunately I don't think there are any economical small rear wheel drive cars made anymore. Maybe the answer is to fit a front tow bar for launch and recovery, so the front drive wheels can get some grip.

Old Forum

James_parsons

Posted on Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 11:40 pm:      
Thanks Julian. Think I'm going to have to compromise. Still looking... On a more positive note, I have just about finished repainting Liberta and going to put her back in the water this week and go off exploring Chichester Harbour and beyond with a bit of luck. This sunshine has hardened the paint beautifully, but it's been hot work. Just hope the fair weather stays a little lnoger.

Old Forum

Paul Thomas
Username: Paul_thomas

Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 11:49 am:      
I am jumping into this thread a bit late, but I guess it will always be relevant. We have a Skoda Octavia Tdi 4x4. The 4wd is only activated (automatically) when it is needed such as on a wet slipway. The rest of the time it is a pretty economical fwd car. The max tow weight is 1500kg, thus leaving plenty in reserve. My trailer is rated to 1300kg so even if it was fully loaded I would still not exceed 85% as recommended by such worthies as the caravan club. Nose weight is easy to adjust by shifting cargo back and forth. It has been a very pleasant towcar, you hardly notice the WB astern, and has performed some impressive hillstarts when required.