News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Trailering in Europe

Started by Old Forum, April 10, 2014, 11:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 01:51 pm:      
Does anyone have experience of trailing a boat in Europe? We are thinking about going to Croatia and I have never towed a boat internationally before. is there anything we need to be aware of or prepare for? I also wondered how happy caravan site owners are if you turn up with a floating "caravan" rather than the usual white box? Any advice appreciated.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 12:23 pm:      
Article in Sept PBO 'Towing a rib in France' Main points:-
1. Unlike in the UK, in France the trailer requires its own record of service. (Copy of latest bills if you service it yourself).
2. Carry driving licence as proof that you are entitled to tow a trailer of the appropriate size.
3. Check that car insurance certificate covers the trailer.
4. Don't overload trailer. (I carry a UK weighbridge record).
5. VAT:- Take copy of original invoice to show VAT paid, or as a second best, if like me you don't have it, take a copy of the bill of sale from the bloke you bought the boat off.
6. On the water:- French require the ICC and the inland water certificate if you are going inland. (Two separate exams).I don't know about Croatia.
General:- The above is belt and braces. In my experience, the French are easily the worst bureaucrats in Europe although,I guess you would have to be particularly unlucky to fall foul of them. (I was stopped at sea off the South of France by gendarmes in a RIB and asked for 'certification'. They had no idea what they were looking at or for, so in the absence of any other documents at the time, I showed them my 35 year old 'old style' UK car driving licence which they accepted without question!
7. In France, you have to be very careful about landing on a beach with a powered boat.In most places on the south coast it is illegal and it is extensively policed.I don't know about Croatia.