News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Another choice to become a Winklebrigger

Started by VROUW KIRSTEN, June 28, 2020, 11:30:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VROUW KIRSTEN

Just seen this: Another WB is for sale, located in Leeuwarden/Netherlands:

https://de.botentekoop.com/klassieke-zeilboten/winkle-brig-117/1f2e46ca-6033-46f8-8f05-ae0c5f46bc0e

It is not my one and I am not related to this. Only for information.
Life is happy, life is sweet, on a gaff rigged boat of 16 feet!

Ken

Thanks for the "heads up" Gerold. I quite like seeing what variations people have made to their boats.
Sadly the site wont let you see their privacy and cookie policy unless you agree to it first which seems a bit stupid. I too may be a bit stupid as I try to avoid cookies and the like whenever I can.

I just took a look at your lake, Duemmer, and found it hard to believe Wikipedia telling me its average depth is 1m and deepest point 1.5m !  This would mean you could fall out of your boat anywhere and still stand up with your head above water ... yet I have seen pics of quite big boats on it . Are they all specially adapted for shallow water ?

Ken

VROUW KIRSTEN

Hello Ken,
yes, you are right - approved safety equipment at the Duemmer is a safety helmet instead of a buoyancy aid  ;D 8).

But to be honest, it is a very nice area, the depth is between 1,20 and 1,40 normally. With a Winkle Brig not a problem. Last year we have had low waterlevel because of the weather, between at least 0,4 to 0,6 m depth and problems with foul smelling algae.

Actual we enjoy a depth of app. 1,50 m with excellent water quality - very good!

For sailing trips of several days I prefer the Dutch Ijsselmeer, allways thinking to realize a Winkle Brig meeting in that region.

Kind regards

Gerold
Life is happy, life is sweet, on a gaff rigged boat of 16 feet!

Ken

approved safety equipment at the Duemmer is a safety helmet instead of a buoyancy aid

On Kielder you're more likely to need a divers helmet as you could go down 53m if you choose the deep end :o