News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Topsail

Started by Old Forum, April 06, 2014, 09:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

David Cawston

Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 05:10 pm:      
What a glorious day up here in the Northeast, just right for getting 'Markie' ready for her first trip of the Year to the Trail Sail Association Norfolk Broads Easter Cruise. She is all ready and I have taken the opportunity to get the topsail off and here are the dimensions for all of you who are wanting a topsail. The yard (if that is the correct term for the wooden spar) is 102" long with holes 2" from either end and one hole 53" from the bottom, all in the same plane. The spar is 40mm x 37mm in the middle and 32mm x 30mm at the two holes near the ends with the holes drilled through the shorter dimension. The topsail itself has a luff measurement of 93", the foot (if you can call it that as it goes up at quite an angle) of 96" and the leech is 71". There are 6 small intermediate cringles for the lacing and the distances between cringles starting from the head corner are 17", 17", 11.5", 12", 11", 11" and 13.5". Why the odd spacing I do not know. My sails were made by Performance Sails, other makes may vary slightly. Could anyone with another make please check to see if these dimensions are a standard size.

Old Forum

Roger Parish

Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 08:59 pm:      
If ordering a topsail for the first time then the luff dimension is really your choice and the foot of the sail is governed by the length of the gaff arm. Those measurements are easy. However the leech dimension will be determined by the cut of the mainsail and the angle between the gaff and mast when peaked. I suspect this is more likely to be variable and more difficult to measure but needs to be checked.

Old Forum

Roger Parish

Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 09:04 pm:      
Dave, as an after thought, what lawn conditioner do you use?

Old Forum

Adrian Evans

Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 01:19 pm:      
How many WBs came with topsails originally? was it an option, or does it relate to sail number?

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 01:35 pm:      
The boat was made with either a normal gaff sail plus optional topsail, or a high peaked gaff without. I have only seen the low peaked version. I do think it would be a disappointment not to have the topsail, it is great fun to set up. When the boat is fully rigged it attracts all sorts of compliments from passing boats, canoeists etc. Sadly, despite the topsail, most were overtaking at the time...

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Monday, January 04, 2010 - 11:27 am:      
Roger:- My 2010 resolution is to tackle the single handed raising/lowering of topsail problems. I really like your fixed topsail spar arrangement. Would you mind describing it to me? I guess you needed two new mast bands - Where did you get these from?

Old Forum

Roger Parish
Username: Roger_parish

Posted on Monday, January 04, 2010 - 08:26 pm:      
The topmast was first fixed to the original mast and retained the same cast mast band. The topmast was stepped in a traditional way in a fid srewed to the main mast as can be seen in the attached picture and then bolted through the main mast. The topmast was an aluminium Mirror dinghy mast reduced in length. When I replaced the main mast for a hollow section I then decided to make two new mast bands. These were fabricated from steel plate and still need to be galvanised! The only advantage of the new arrangement is that the topmast does not have to be removed as it is lowered by simply removing a stainless drop pin and it then slides along the main mast. I think all the pictures on my website show the latter arrangement. Hope this helps. Happy New year to all readers.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Friday, January 08, 2010 - 04:01 pm:      
Many thanks Roger. If it is easy to get at, could you let me know how long your topmast is? (Save me rigging the boat in this weather!)

Old Forum

Roger Parish

Posted on Friday, January 08, 2010 - 08:44 pm:      
The Mirror mast tube measures 1650mm. Mine is fitted with the original fitting, a moulded end plug which provides for the halyard to pass over the top. If you are going to fit a more conventional sheave block then I would make the mast LOA 1700 to accommodate the sheave block. This assumes that your topsail is the same luff length!
The luff length is 2300mm between top and bottom eyelets crs. Then how high do you like the boom to sit as this will determine topmast length as well!
I seem to remember that your existing arrangement only uses one halyard to raise the topsail? Why are you proposing to change?

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Saturday, January 09, 2010 - 12:11 pm:      
Very helpful. Many thanks.
With my present arrangement I clip on the tack and clew before raising the mainsail and then use one halyard to raise the topsail whilst pulling on the mainsail throat and gaff halyards. (This requires three hands and the topsail can then only be lowered by lowering the mainsail).
I gave myself a bit of a fright last year off Southwold Pier when I had to lower the topsail and reef the mainsail in a hurry. I think your arrangement will still need three hands, but it must be easier without the topsail spar banging around.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 01:16 pm:      
I like the idea of the retractable topmast. I have looked on your site at the photos and can see most of the detail of the new mast bands except for where the forstay fixes to the lower band. Is the fixing welded onto the outer front face of the topmast retaining hoop?

Old Forum

Roger Parish

Posted on Monday, January 11, 2010 - 09:14 pm:      
These two pictures show the arrangement. Originally the forestay was attached below the bottom bracket and when I decided to have the mast retract I moved the forestay to one side so it is off centre. A second inner stay can then be attached to the other side.
image{bracket1}
image{bracket2}

Old Forum

Roger Parish

Posted on Monday, January 11, 2010 - 09:17 pm:      
Hopefully the pictures will load this time!

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 09:00 pm:      
Excellent! Many thanks.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 04:42 pm:      
Hi Roger, sorry to bother you again for a measurement. I can't find any second hand Mirror masts on line so I am going to try and get a length of aluminum pole from a local spar maker. Can you please let me know the diameter of your Mirror mast?