News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Questions from a newbie...

Started by Old Forum, April 12, 2014, 09:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

James_parsons
Username: James_parsons

Posted on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 05:21 pm:      
Greetings everybody. I just bought WB93, 'Liberta', which you may have seen advertised on boatsandoutboards. Was going to buy a Drascombe Cruiser, but fell hook line and sinker for the Winkle Brig and ended up buying her instead. I've sailed all sorts of boats and thought the WB would be pretty straighforward to get to know, but I'm already stumped after a couple of days, so any advice on the following questions greatly appreciated!

1. The previous owner thoughtfully included an Alladin's cave of strings and pulleys and bits and bobs. Unfotunately I can't work out what goes where and what is surplus. Can anyone help with pictures or diagrams of basic running rigging? - Or the approx lengths of particular halyards etc? She has a high peaked gaff - which seems to be less usual than the more traditional version.

2. Is it possible to hoist the mainsail and secure the forestay to the bowsprit single handed? If so how is it done - apart from balancing on the end of the bowsprit? You may all be groaning by now with what seems a dumb question, but I'm stumped!

3. The boat is generally in very good condition for her age, but the deck seems to have been cleaned with an inappropriate substance at some stage and has extensive patches of fading and minute crazing. Or is this something that often occurs? Any thoughts on the best paints to use for the deck. This one is a cream colour. Are all the decks originally that colour?

4. There is a solar vent on either side of the coachroof, like a pair of ears. I have seen them on other WBs so assume they were an option when new. Neither of them now works. I assume the rechargeable battery inside has expired. Has anyone succesfully repaired one, or can you recommend where I could get replacements? They seem like a really good idea.

I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks for your patience!

A proud but puzzled new owner......

Old Forum

James_parsons
Username: James_parsons

Posted on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 09:43 pm:      
Umm. I think I may have discovered the answer to the rigging question, having looked in more depth at the content of the forum and resources. Apologies!

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 07:33 am:      
Congratulations on your wise choice of vessel!
With regard to point 3 you do get areas of crazing usualy at stress points like the base of mast. As far as I am aware these are not serious.I live with mine. With regard to painting the deck, there is a large area which is already painted and I would repaint these with a suitable external gloss paint with a matting agent and grit (for non slip) added, and leave the rest.
Re Point 4:- I have not come across the solar vent. I am intrigued!